• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Did a little work I'm not licensed for, customer not paying.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sandyclaus

Where in the California Business and Professions Code or in the Uniform Plumbing Code, or any other law or ordinance, do you find justification for citing this 500 dollar figure as the demarcation between legal and illegal construction activities?

Are you representing that the criminal penalties provided in that Code are only applicable when the cost of the project exceeds $500?

That Section 7031 allows an unlicensed contractor to recover compensation when the projects cost are below $500?

Because that would be as ludicrous as saying that any unlicensed individual may practice medicine, dentistry, etc., as long as the "job is not over $500"! And moreover use the courts to collect the fee.

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/Consumers/ReportUnlicensedActivity/WhatIsIllegalContractorActivity.asp

The state site is who says it. If they are the ones enforcing the license, and they are the ones who say that $500 or more is considered illegal for an unlicensed contractor, then you need to take up your nitpicking with THE STATE and how they represent that on their site. I only reported the information that I got from a reputable state-sanctioned site.

latigo

As I stated before, that information comes direct from the California Contractors State Licensing board website.

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/Consumers/ReportUnlicensedActivity/WhatIsIllegalContractorActivity.asp

The state site is who says it. If they are the ones enforcing the license, and they are the ones who say that $500 or more is considered illegal for an unlicensed contractor, then you need to take up your nitpicking with THE STATE and how they represent that on their site. I only reported the information that I got from a reputable state-sanctioned site.
No need to highlight your precious website. I knew precisely where you came up with that notion. You GOOGLED it and took if for gospel.

But I did not ask for a website, I asked you to cite LEGAL AUTHORITY, because what you glommed on to is not California law!

The licensing regulations pertaining to contractors are not contained in a stupid website composed by some clock watching, underling state employee.

They are embodied in Chapter 9 of the Cal. B&P Code. And those laws speak nothing whatsoever ABOUT DOLLAR LIMITS. Neither with regard to the criminal penalties * or the prohibition against unlicensed persons seeking compensation for construction work. **

Such would be contrary to the state legislative purpose in enacting such regulatory statutes. ***.

[*] “Section 7028. [In part] It is a misdemeanor for a person to engage in the business or act in the capacity of a contractor within this state without having a license therefor, . . . . . . . . (b) A first conviction for the offense described in this section is punishable by a fine not exceeding five thousand dollars ($5,000) or by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding six months, or by both that fine and imprisonment. . . . . “

[**] “Section 7031. [In part] (a) Except as provided in subdivision (e), no person engaged in the business or acting in the capacity of a contractor, may bring or maintain any action, or recover in law or equity in any action, in any court of this state for the collection of compensation for the performance of any act or contract where a license is required by this chapter without alleging that he or she was a duly licensed contractor at all times during the performance of that act or contract, . . . . . ““

[***] Section 145. The Legislature finds and declares that: (a) Unlicensed activity in the professions and vocations regulated by the Department of Consumer Affairs is a threat to the health, welfare, and safety of the people of the State of California. (b) The law enforcement agencies of the state should have sufficient, effective, and responsible means available to enforce the licensing laws of the state. (c) The criminal sanction for unlicensed activity should be swift, effective, appropriate, and create a strong incentive to obtain a license."

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">