• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Did Newspaper libel witness of capital murdur trial?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pothole24

The local newspaper printed an article on the front page in reference to a statewide newspaper's front page article concerning the heroism of a volunteer fireman who responded to assist law enforcement in a situation where one deputy was murdered and the other was injured. The volunteer firefighter was nominated for the National Volvo Hometown Hero Award which was based on the actions he took on the night of the incident. He had given a sworn statement to investigating officers and was slated to testify in the upcoming capital murder trial. The article in the statewide paper quoted the county Sheriff saying "I want to thank him for what he did, had he not shown up, what would of happened we don't know. The sheriff when on to say that his actions quieted the scene down and assisted the deputy in arresting the suspect before the deputy passed out from his wounds.

The local paper's article 2 weeks later questioned the firefighters sworn statement by printing the following "We have never received any factual information to back his (the firefighters) story up, and we have also received some conflicting stories.” I feel that this is libel because, they call into question his integrity and honesty. In printing this they are inferring that he is possibly lying in his sworn statement under oath to the officials. They said they had no facts, but how much more "official" can you get with the Sheriff's comments and praise in the other newspapers article, which they were aware of. We know that the paper was aware of this because, information about the nomination was copied from the same paper that published the article that contained the Sheriff's comments.

The trial has since concluded, the firefighter's testimony was exactly as previously sworn too. All of the witnesses testifying that were on the scene supported the firefighter’s statements.

The paper's follow up story reported on the verdict of the trial. They stated false information about trial testimony. There version completely leaves out the firefighter’s actions along with other witnesses actions at the scene. All of the other newspapers, television stations, radio covering the trial and the trial transcripts, clearly support the firefighters sworn testimony. Also, the county attorney’s opening statement in the trial include the firefighters presence on the scene and his help and assistance in taking the suspect into custody.

The paper discredited a small town volunteer firefighter and businessman's heroic actions. Can anything be done to remedy this?

BelizeBreeze

Well now, the answer is very simple....but since you violated the rules of this forum, I think I'll report this incident to your hometown newspaper...If I knew where THAT was. :rolleyes:

S

somedude

Nope

The answer is pretty simple: NOTHING!

This happens all of the time in journalism. Newpapers investigate things. I guess being in a small town, you've never seen this. All it takes is one person to make a phone call and, if your town is THAT small, it's "news."

In regards to that paper's article 2 weeks later, they could've requested information and didn't receive it, hence their "we never recieved any factual information" claim. Did it state where they requested information? Also, did it happen to mention the conflicting stories?

By a newspaper omitting some information, that in this case sounds like it's not relevant to the story about the court case, is not "false information."

Just because you're a friend/family member of the person who the article is about doesn't mean it's libel or the person has been discredited. Obviously the paper had no impact on the proceedings.

As a journalist, maybe you can provide a link to the story (providing this podunk newspaper has an electronic version of their paper) and I can look at it myself.

If you don't agree with the story or their approach, etc., maybe you should write a letter to the editor. If you are a subscriber, cancel your subscription and encourage others to do the same.

pothole24

The State is Montana.

Please accept my appology for any violation of the rules, I am new and here and just wanted my question answered. If there isn't a case here, so be it. I posted on here because I don't know jack about the law and a friend refered me to this site because he thought what the paper did was wrong. I certainly didn't expect any rudeness or borderline hostility. Please tell me any and all rules I violated so in the future I won't make the mistake again. Also, you can email me at [email protected] if you would like the name of the paper involved.

Thanks

pothole24

follow up info newspaper

montana- All the information in the local paper's article was taken from the state wide paper in a pick and choose manner.The sheriff's account of the firemans actions were left out by the local paper.The local paper stated that they received the facts from the county attorney,the same county attorney who in opening statements to the jury stated that the firefighter assisted in takeing the suspect into custody. The paper did not mention what the conflicting stories were or where they came from. There were 5 people at the immediate murder scene,one of whom gave an accounting of the events to this same local paper.They published the article after deleting any mention of the firefighter.All 4 of the other witnesses testified at the trail and all confirmed the firemans statement.Giving false swore statements in a murder case is a crime.The paper says they" have never received any factual information to back his story up" which is a lie. To furthur componde their malicious contradictions of the firemans heroic actions,They knowingly published a completely false report of the trail,by stating that the wounded deputy arrested the suspect without assistance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">