• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability after you resign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Safarimonkey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

Hello, on may 30th i gave notice to my employer that my last day at work would be June 23rd. Last week however, i got into a car accident and havent been at work since then, still awaiting surgery. My question is since i gave notice prior to my accident, will i be entitled to disability benefits? According to my DR, i wont be able to get back on my feet for 3 months. The insurance agent for my company is Metlife. TIA

adjusterjack

You should be covered until your termination date.

Make the claim directly with the insurance company.

There should be claim forms on their website.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The best answer I can give you is, probably.

Most disability plans go by the date on which your disability began and is not dependent on your continued employment. However, the terms of the specific policy matter. Not all policies by the same carrier are identical. The only one who can carve an answer is stone is your own HR department.

However, it is MUCH more likely that you will be entitled to benefits than that you won't.

adjusterjack

The only one who can carve an answer is stone is your own HR department.
Actually, the only ones who can carve an answer in stone are the claim reps at the insurance company who read and analyze the policies every day.

And even they only commit when they have received the claim, processed it, and provided the results in writing.

A possible (but rare) exception to that is when the employer is self insured and his own HR people administer the claims based on whatever coverage the employer is providing.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What makes you think self-funding is rare?

The insurance carrier may be the only ones who can approve/disapprove his claim, but I promise you his HR/Benefits people can tell him whether or not the policy carries a provision to continue benefits after the last day of work. This is what I do for a living, remember?

Safarimonkey

Is there a way i can find out by just looking at the policy documents? I checked the application and the only Q that was there was were you employed for at least 1 year with ABC conpany at the date of your injury

PayrollHRGuy

If you have the full policy documents, yes you could probably find it.

This will be either a multi-page doc or a one or two page document with lots of very small type.

My bet is you don't have the full policy doc.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can probably find out by reading the summary plan description (SPD) rather than the full document.

Your employer is required by law to give you the SPD upon request, although not necessarily the exact minute you make the request. I want to say he has 30 days but I could be wrong about that.

You MAY be able to find the SPD on your company website IF they provide benefit information there. Ours does, but not every employer does. That's something to look at if you really don't want to ask them.

But I'll tell you what we're looking at in terms of odds. I have been in some form of employee benefits ever since 1979. In all that time, the only employer I have EVER seen where STD benefits stopped when employment does, is my current employer, and it only stops at the end of employment with us in some limited circumstances which do not apply to most employees.

As I said, it is FAR more likely that coverage will continue than that it won't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">