• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability parking removed from mobilehome park in San Jose CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Eekamouse

If you're living in a mobile home park, you have parking in your carport. You likely aren't supposed to be parking in guests spots anyway, disabled or otherwise. Usually, guest parking is for guests only, not the residents themselves. Is that how it is in your park, OP?

LdiJ

In your OP, you said "mobile home" - a "mobile home" is a trailer, even if the components that originally have made it towable have been removed.

Somebody above suggested that you talk to "the mayor's office" - but that is not what you want to do. You want to speak to code enforcement about the removal of the parking spots to see if that is allowed. ("The mayor's office" is going to refer you there anyway.)
Which is why I suggested that the OP call the Mayor's office, because they have people there specially to refer people to the correct office...with a phone number even.;)

MOC

Yes it is a disability issue. They can't evict you because you complain. But they do not have to renew your lease when it is up. Tiger D is a site vetted Attorney. The advice to be prepared for them to not renew is very good advice.
ah....I know enough to be able to tell you that failure to renew a lease is also RETALIATION

MOC

Which is why I suggested that the OP call the Mayor's office, because they have people there specially to refer people to the correct office...with a phone number even.;)
Did that
they referred me to the wrong department

MOC

In your OP, you said "mobile home" - a "mobile home" is a trailer, even if the components that originally have made it towable have been removed.

Somebody above suggested that you talk to "the mayor's office" - but that is not what you want to do. You want to speak to code enforcement about the removal of the parking spots to see if that is allowed. ("The mayor's office" is going to refer you there anyway.)
no you wrong
it is a manufactured home
it is not mobile
to call it a "trailer" is at best insensitive and at worse classist and elitist

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
See, the thing is that things like requirements for handicap parking spots within the city would defined by the city code. That's why you need to talk to code enforcement. I'm not saying that you're going to get any action, because they may not have done anything against code by painting over the spots, but it's the right place to start.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
no you wrong
it is a manufactured home
it is not mobile
to call it a "trailer" is at best insensitive and at worse classist and elitist
It's only insensitive to those who are sensitive about it. I have a close relative who lives in an amazing mobile home in a beautiful mobile home park. Yet, when you look underneath his fantastic home, you see axles and a hitch. At the end of the day, it IS a trailer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_home

A mobile home (also trailer, trailer home, house trailer, static caravan, residential caravan) is a prefabricated structure, built in a factory on a permanently attached chassis before being transported to site (either by being towed or on a trailer). Used as permanent home, or for holiday or temporary accommodation, they are left often permanently or semi-permanently in one place, but can be moved, and may be required to move from time to time for legal reasons.

Mobile homes share the same historic origins as travel trailers, but today the two are very different in size and furnishings, with travel trailers being used primarily as temporary or vacation homes. Behind the cosmetic work fitted at installation to hide the base, there are strong trailer frames, axles, wheels, and tow-hitches.

Just Blue

ah....I know enough to be able to tell you that failure to renew a lease is also RETALIATION
sigh. How would you prove it? A property owner is not legally obligated to renew a lease. If you have state law/statute that says otherwise I would love to review it. (obviously for your state). :)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So, you're telling us that there's a law requiring that they renew your lease? Please, by all means post a link to that law.

xylene

Once again - classist advisors belittle a mobile home owner into agreeing with their landlord.

LdiJ

It's only insensitive to those who are sensitive about it. I have a close relative who lives in an amazing mobile home in a beautiful mobile home park. Yet, when you look underneath his fantastic home, you see axles and a hitch. At the end of the day, it IS a trailer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_home

A mobile home (also trailer, trailer home, house trailer, static caravan, residential caravan) is a prefabricated structure, built in a factory on a permanently attached chassis before being transported to site (either by being towed or on a trailer). Used as permanent home, or for holiday or temporary accommodation, they are left often permanently or semi-permanently in one place, but can be moved, and may be required to move from time to time for legal reasons.

Mobile homes share the same historic origins as travel trailers, but today the two are very different in size and furnishings, with travel trailers being used primarily as temporary or vacation homes. Behind the cosmetic work fitted at installation to hide the base, there are strong trailer frames, axles, wheels, and tow-hitches.
Zig, why belabor something that obviously offends another person? Particularly when its off topic and irrelevant to the question at hand?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">