• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disclosure of medical records for reduced insurance rate, kinda.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jakeco2u

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

I'm going to try and explain this best I can, but this gives me the heebee-jeebees.

I'll start from the beginning. Recently, my employer has switched to a self-insured medical policy. This has been raising a lot of questions and feelings of my medical privacy slipping away.
To save more money they (my employer from here on out) have implemented a nicotine test to save an additional $100 a month on my part of the premiums. I have quit smoking 2 years ago but I still continue using nicotine gum and lozenges. As such I have been labeled a smoker according to their policy, I dont agree with this but nothing I can do. However, there is "reasonable alternative" I can complete which will make me eligible for the non-smoker discount. This consists of a month long online program to help quit smoking known as Quitnet through meyouhealth.co. I have no problems jumping through a few hoops for a savings of $1200/yr. This is where I have the problem. In signing up for this program, I am required to authorize Wellness IQ to disclose my Protected Health Information to MeYou Health. If I decline, no savings.

First question, is this legal to require an employee to sign away his rights of medical privacy or face higher insurance premiums?

Second question, is there any reason I should hesitate signing this authorization form?

I don't know if I am overreacting to this in thinking it is a violation of my privacy. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated folks. I am running out of time to get this signed if I am going to move forward with it or just bite the big one and pay the extra dough.

Thanks in advance.

PayrollHRGuy

Yes it is legal and it is limited to the smoking cessation program.

There is no reason to be concerned with it because it is limited to the smoking cessation program.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">