• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discovery, attorney-client privilege, and providing my attorney with documents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fpbear

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My attorney is out of the office today so I can't ask this question to them directly.. this is a newbie question from someone clueless how this works.

I told them I'd drop off the free agreement and a couple documents at their office tonight.

If I bring other documents as well (that my attorney didn't ask for but which I think could potentially be useful for the case), would that be discoverable by the other side?

Or should I only drop off documents that my attorney specifically asked for?

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My attorney is out of the office today so I can't ask this question to them directly.. this is a newbie question from someone clueless how this works.

I told them I'd drop off the free agreement and a couple documents at their office tonight.

If I bring other documents as well (that my attorney didn't ask for but which I think could potentially be useful for the case), would that be discoverable by the other side?

Or should I only drop off documents that my attorney specifically asked for?
The act of dropping the documents off at your attorney would not make them discoverable, nor will not prevent them from becoming discoverable.

But....

If you drop them off and later try to say that they don't exist, your attorney cannot ethically back up your lie.

If you intend on using them in court then they would have to be shown anyways in all likelihood.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">