• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discovery - Calibration records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

partypants69

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I recently received a speeding ticket, and I am considering fighting it. I am having trouble finding the statutes that determine the requirements law enforcement agencies must follow for calibrating/maintaining their radar systems. I could also use general information regarding filing a request for discovery and entering a plea via mail. Also, is it required that I enter a plea before a request for discovery is made? I do not want to give up my chance for traffic school, if there is no hope of fighting the ticket. I also read that prima facie limits allow one to determine a safe speed, and I think I read in the statutes that for texas the limits are such. Even if I was indeed speeding, I was still driving safely. Will that help in court? Thanks for your help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

partypants69

Prima facie

Ok, so I looked up prima facie and have come to the conclusion that it basicaly means that if you go over the posted limit then that's all the proof they need. So it looks like that works against me. Does anyone have any help regarding the rest of my questions?

The Occultist

As far as calibration records, I cannot offer much in the way advice except for to search for posts by JiminCA and by using search engines. Yes, calibration records are required to a certain extent, but your ignorance on the subject will force me to advise this: find a traffic attorney. Local attorneys know best what the courts want to hear and as such present the highest potential in yielding the most favorable results. Most attorneys will offer a free/cheap consultation, so with down with a couple and see what insight they may have to offer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">