• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discriminatory Firing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nvJob

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hi, a fellow coworker of 12+ years, a good record and who has never once taken issue with his employer through his union, has been terminated for a violation which is regularly done by fellow coworkers in the presence of supervision. A violation which foremans and supervisors regularly commit themselves to keep production moving, We all know the company has singled him out and used it to get rid of him because of a recently discovered medical condition which allows him reasonable accommodations, which he has chosen not to use to date. Management has openly made comments indicating they do not want to deal with persons with medical conditions. We coworkers are willing to testify to these comments and this discriminatory treatment, of allowing others and themselves to do the very thing they terminated him for. We also have proof supervision has forced coworkers to falsify information in regards to this.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hot Topic

Nothing can be done until your coworker chooses to take action himself. The first step would be to have him post here about the violation.

Beth3

. A violation which foremans and supervisors regularly commit themselves to keep production moving, We all know the company has singled him out and used it to get rid of him because of a recently discovered medical condition which allows him reasonable accommodations, which he has chosen not to use to date.

Without knowing what medical condition your friend has and whether it qualifies as a disability under the ADA, it's impossible to know whether his ADA rights have been violated. Since it hasn't been necessary for him to request reasonable accommodation in order to due his job, my guess would be that it's not.

In the meantime, your friend can file a grievance with the union.

nvJob

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I first want to clearify apologies that the person terminated was myself. I was advised by others to not talk about this as myself out of fear of retaliation. But I guess it doesnt matter now anyway. Again my apologies.
My condition is diabetes, sleep apnea, and mild hyper tension. Half of the time my job is sitting while the other half is physical, strenuous and very hot. Im heading towards middle age now and have done this job for over 12+ years. With new management, our work load has continually increased, while I have been getting older and my condition gradually worsening. Not to make a sob story of this, I have really suffered the last few years trying to not trouble the company about my condition, my superviser has know of it the last couple of years now, but apparently has tried to ignore it and threaten me not to make an issue of it with him to another coworker. Ive felt trapped afraid to make an issue of it.

nvJob

Also, yes I have filed my first grievance ever against my employer over this. Im worried concerning my union, its commonly 'understood' amongst coworkers our union will grieve until it comes time to arbitrate and costs money. Im trying to learn what I can do if this happens to me so Im somewhat prepared. I know theres statutes of limitations etc., for filing claims. I dont want my arbitration to go on for 6-8 months then limitations exspired etc..

nvJob

Im trying not to be too specific and give details that would reveal who Im in case my employer browses these sites. It would not be suprising he would be in these forums.

commentator

You're exactly right. At this point, there's no point in wishy washing about whether to file a complaint or not. Because if you're fired, you're fired. If I were you, I'd file grievances with EEOC and ADA myself, regardless of what your union does for you, because you have absolutely nothing to lose. Don't worry about retaliation, what're they gonna do to you, take back your pay retroactively? Fire you twice?

As for worrying if you have a valid complaint, don't be hesitant to file with this much of a case, because the folks at EEOC will get paid, whether they determine your claim is valid or not. The downside is that it may take a really long time, six or eight months at least, for them to get to you or make a decision, but file quickly, because there is a statute of limitations.

If you can afford it, you may want to talk to a labor attorney about your termination. Or legal services, if you feel you qualify for this sort of help. How about that union you've been paying dues to all these years? Some of them will assist members with such cases. Who cares if they aren't willing to go all the way with it or something? Do it anyhow.
If the attorneys you talk with politely tell you "someone" may be interested in taking the case, but not they're too busy, don't do this type work, etc, you probably need to accept that you don't have much of a case for age or disability discrimination. We none of us here can tell you definitively.

First, though, and totally unrelated, as soon as you are fired, file a claim for unemployment benefits. You do this the first week you are not working, doesn't matter if you have enough money to live on right now or you're a proud soul who never wanted assistance...do it anyway, it's not welfare, it's yours there to draw by federal law if you qualify. You will set up a claim based on your past 18 mo. to 2 years of work, and if you tarry, those wages will be gone, and you will not be able to draw unemployment ever, even though you've worked all these years.

Since you were fired for misconduct, you will explain the exact circumstances of your termination, explain what the rules were, explain whether you had had any warnings or write ups for THIS particular thing you did. Be sure to mention that you'd seen many other people do this with no repercussions. Be sure you mention that you'd been out of work, that you have seen a trail of discriminatory actions toward you since you have begun to get older and have health issues that forced you to be absent a lot or that they were going to have to make some allowances for to continue your employment.

Since unemployment insurance IS NOT just about discrimination, and has nothing at ALL to do with either your union grievance or your EEOC filings, you do not need to go any further with those issues in filing for benefits. Your employer will then be contacted and asked for the reason they say you were terminated, but what you say will be just as valid as what they say. They do not make the decision about whether you get to draw unemployment or not. As I said, you may be denied the first time, but later approved when you have a better case and they cannot produce proof your firing was for a good misconduct cause.

Okay, be sure when you file you tell the unemployment claims office you are able, available and actively seeking other work. DO NOT tell them at the unemployment office that because of your diabetes, your sleep apnea and mild hypertension you cannot work or cannot do some types of work. This is an insult to people working everywhere everyday with these types of conditions. Do not try to put health issue restrictions on yourself at this point. They will not offer you any work that is like ditchdigging if you were not a ditch digger on your former job. Even if they did offer you a job you did not feel you could do, you could go on the interview and consider it before you made that decision. It sounds as though you were in the industrial field, you must be able and available for work in a similar field. The place to discuss these sort of issues is with employers, NOT with the unemployment office when you are signing up to draw. Just state that you are able and available, and willing to participate in any job search activities they offer you.

You will very likely be denied initially on your unemployment claim. This means you will have a hearing, and will be asked to present your case to an appeals referee. They will be determining if you were terminated for a valid job related misconduct reason. They will determine if the reason you were terminated was "gross misconduct" (so bad you should have known it was wrong, even once, to do it) or else that they had a clear pattern of verbal warnings to you, then write ups to you, and then you still chose to do the thing that got you fired.

Of course, you will have some very good argument to make that this was not the case, that you were fired because they wanted to get rid of an older, slightly disabled worker. That you were still doing the job to the best of your abilities (This isn't the time to mention that due to your health problems, you were slowing down and could barely do anything on the job(!)) and that you did not want to lose your job.

But now you are terminated. Your employer is not big in your life any more. Your union, your co-workers, all this is over. No appeal to anyone for any reason is likely to get you your job back. It's time to move on. If your health problems are such that you do not expect you will be able to get another job, you may want to think about beginning the filing of a claim for social security disability, though you have to have been out of work for a very long time before that would be a possibility. And until it is approved, you can be doing work searches and drawing unemployment insurance if you get approved.

Get busy. File for unemployment, get that started. Talk to attorneys, even without one, file your claims timely for EEOC and ADA issues. Then begin moving on with the rest of your life.
By the way, it is my opinion that if your employer spends a lot of time browsing these sites, and might find out you're posting and ...I don't know, put out a contract on you or something, then he isn't much of an employer and doesn't have much to do!

Last edited:

nvJob

Thank you so much for your very helpful reply commentator.

My superviser threatened if I grieved my termination he would deny my unemployment. There were multiple witnesses to this. Should I mention this at some point?
We also have a safety insentive program were we earn credits to purchase merchandise etc.. for being safe each month. I had quit a bit accumulated over the last few years. I contacted the program rep about claiming my credits I earned prior to my termination and they said they requested to credit them back to me, but my supervisor said no. Does my supervisor have the right to withhold what I have already earned? This is several hundreds of dollars worth that I could really use now. I could go on and on about this mans intimidating, threatening, harrassing, discriminatory and hostile behavior. All of our fellow coworkers have been afraid to complain out of fear or retaliation.

Beth3

My superviser threatened if I grieved my termination he would deny my unemployment. There were multiple witnesses to this. Should I mention this at some point? Nah. It's not relevant to your ADA claim plus your supervisor/employer doesn't decide who does and does not receive unemployment benefits. The State does. All an employer can do is notify the State they are contesting eligibility. By all means, you should file a UC claim right away.

I also agree you should file a claim with the EEOC for an ADA violation. You were intimidated into not pursuing your rights under the ADA to request reasonable accommodation. You've been fired so you have nothing to lose by filing a complaint with the EEOC for the intimidation and wrongful termination.

Does my supervisor have the right to withhold what I have already earned? Probably. This is entirely an internal policy matter and I'd guess the policy says that the employer can change or disregard the policy as they wish. I'd guess it also states that only active employees are eligible to claim their safety points. I obviously haven't read the policy though.

Last edited:

commentator

Actually, from an unemployment standpoint, yes, I'd manage to drop this comment/threat that your supervisor made in front of witnesses into the mix. Mention that you do have witnesses to this. He obviously thought you might have a viable grievance which he did not want you to file, he was in the habit of issuing threats, and when it comes to unemployment, though he may lie like a bedspread, say any sort of derogatory thing he can think of, if he can't come up with a trail of warnings, concrete evidence that you were fired for a good misconduct reason, etc. he cannot keep you from drawing unemployment.

Above all, do not hesitate to file for your benefits. Even if you were to lose the first appeal, I'd say you have a good possiblity of winning in the hearing. And it also wouldn't hurt to mention in unemployment issues that you have also filed claims against this employer with EEOC. Just don't assume that the two agencies share information or that winning one will guarantee winning the other.

nvJob

"I also agree you should file a claim with the EEOC for an ADA violation. You were intimidated into not pursuing your rights under the ADA to request reasonable accommodation. You've been fired so you have nothing to lose by filing a complaint with the EEOC for the intimidation and wrongful termination."

Thanks Beth3, I will do that.

nvJob

**...though he may lie like a bedspread, say any sort of derogatory thing he can think of, if he can't come up with a trail of warnings, concrete evidence that you were fired for a good misconduct reason, etc. he cannot keep you from drawing unemployment.**

I have very clean file. In actually going on 15 years now my file has less than what can be counted on one hand what have been recorded as warnings / infractions. All of which are minor (shirt not tucked in, ear plugs not in etc., etc.,) Also of which the majority of these were AFTER my supervisor learned of my condition a couple years ago. Most of my fellow coworkers will testify to the fact that I have been one of if not the the most thorough, safety / quality concious employees we have. As for what I got fired over....its my first time. No prior inccident of it. No warnings. Its so blatant coworkers are outraged over it, we all know they wanted get rid of me.

nvJob

commentator, did you mean even with my union going to arbitration with all this that its still likely I wont get my job back? Or did I misunderstand something? I was hoping this might be a wrongful or unjust termination of some kind since theres evidence of discriminatory dicipline over this infraction along with the fact coworkers regularly witness supervision violate the same procedure. It still doesnt make my 'wrong' a right I understand....but might it be an 'adverse action' or unjust punishment type of deal? Thanks

nvJob

Also, Ive read that there is typically a company policy procedure that must be correctly followed before terminating an employee. Its been over 3 weeks now, I have no paperwork of termination or anything. I just recieved a letter in the mail about who I could apply for insurance with etc.. Nothing else. I have been given no inccident statement, no termination paperwork or anything. Just been told "you're terminated, and we will deny your unemployment if you file a grievance over it."

pattytx

What you've read is not law. Company policies very rarely rise to the level of a contractual obligation and any decently written employee handbook specifically states that. Your state is in the majority in that it does not require a termination notice. If your union contract requires such notice, you can notify your union representative if the employer has not complied with the contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">