• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dissmissed without prejudice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jbetz60

I'm in Indiana and found that a case was dismissed without prejudice and can be brought back up again in court and I was wondering how long does the cocourt have to bring it back up again b4 they can no longer bring it back up in court

Jbetz60

It is for collectionsof a joint account between myself and someone else and because they couldn't serve either with papers to appear in court they dismissed it without prejudice

quincy

I'm in Indiana and found that a case was dismissed without prejudice and can be brought back up again in court and I was wondering how long does the cocourt have to bring it back up again b4 they can no longer bring it back up in court
Was it the court that dismissed the action without prejudice, or did the debt collector dismiss its own case without prejudice?

If the former, the court probably saw an error or omission in the original filing and is allowing the plaintiff to file the action again after correction. If the latter, the plaintiff might need more time to compile evidence and will refile again.

If the suit is refiled, it must be filed within the statutory period for collections on the debt. The statute of limitations can be used as a defense to any action filed too late.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
From the various sources I have found on the web, the statute of limitations for collection of a debt on account is 6 years. You should do a web search for Indiana statute of limitations and research it. If you are still unsure, then you may wish to consult a local attorney.

Jbetz60

Was it the court that dismissed the action without prejudice, or did the debt collector dismiss its own case without prejudice?

If the former, the court probably saw an error or omission in the original filing and is allowing the plaintiff to file the action again after correction. If the latter, the plaintiff might need more time to compile evidence and will refile again.

If the suit is refiled, it must be filed within the statutory period for collections on the debt. The statute of limitations can be used as a defense to any action filed too late.

Yes it was the court that dismissed it without prejudice

quincy

Yes it was the court that dismissed it without prejudice
If that is the case, I imagine the court found something lacking in the plaintiff's case and is giving the plaintiff the opportunity to correct/amend the complaint.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If that is the case, I imagine the court found something lacking in the plaintiff's case and is giving the plaintiff the opportunity to correct/amend the complaint.
The OP stated that the dismissal was due to lack of service.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">