• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dissolve LLC to avoid paying judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

foleyt

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I was discussing with a friend of mine that is suing there Remodeling Contractor (an LLC) for over $200K. He was saying they will probably win, but the Contractor (an LLC) will most likely just shut down / dissolve their LLC and then turn right around and start a new Contractor Company (LLC)?

I told him that there has to be some law to stop something like this from happening...are there any laws?

LdiJ

I was discussing with a friend of mine that is suing there Remodeling Contractor (an LLC) for over $200K. He was saying they will probably win, but the Contractor (an LLC) will most likely just shut down / dissolve their LLC and then turn right around and start a new Contractor Company (LLC)?

I told him that there has to be some law to stop something like this from happening...are there any laws?
Not really, no. There can be methods that a good collection attorney can use to try to get around something like that, as far as collecting debt is concerned, but there are no specific laws forbidding that. Generally if the amount in question is beyond the LLC's capability to pay, they file bankruptcy and then try to start over.

zddoodah

First of all, "they," "them" and "their" are not all-purpose pronouns (and "there" isn't a pronoun at all), and when you use them to refer to everyone, it can become confusing. Second, despite your use of a question mark, the second sentence of this quote is not a question. If you intended a question, I cannot discern what you intended to ask.

Why would you tell him something that you don't know to be true (and which, in fact, is not true)?

The owner(s) of the LLC defendant could, indeed, close down and stop operating the business and might even dissolve the LLC (filing BK isn't nearly as likely as simply walking away from the business). There would be nothing to prevent those persons from starting a new business, and I've seen it many times with contractors. However, if Colorado requires contractors to be bonded, your friend ought to contact the bonding company. The bond won't likely to be sufficient to cover a $200k+ judgment, but if the bonding company pays a claim and doesn't get reimbursed, that will probably impact the owner(s)' ability to get a new bond. Additionally, if the dissolution isn't done properly, it's possible that your friend could sue the new company or the owner(s) on a successor liability or alter ego theory. Of course, that will add a bunch of additional legal fees.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
One more thing I'd like to point out is that your friend should be talking to his attorney about this matter. The attorney will likely make an attempt to "pierce the corporate veil", making the individual owner(s) responsible as well.

adjusterjack

Your friend should be suing the LLC and the individual.

Check out some of the sources regarding LLCs and piercing the corporate veil.

colorado llc piercing the corporate veil at DuckDuckGo

Why would you tell him something that you don't know to be true (and which, in fact, is not true)?
On the contrary. Given my and Zigner's comments, foleyt's statement is potentially true.

foleyt

One more thing I'd like to point out is that your friend should be talking to his attorney about this matter. The attorney will likely make an attempt to "pierce the corporate veil", making the individual owner(s) responsible as well.
They do have an attorney, the discussion I had with him was just 2 people chatting away pretending to know what we were talking about...LOL!
Thanks.

foleyt

Not really, no. There can be methods that a good collection attorney can use to try to get around something like that, as far as collecting debt is concerned, but there are no specific laws forbidding that. Generally if the amount in question is beyond the LLC's capability to pay, they file bankruptcy and then try to start over.
Thanks for the info.

Zigner

Thanks for the info.
You're welcome. Your friend's concerns could, unfortunately, come to pass. If the attorney is unable to pierce the corporate veil, then the other party could just abandon the company and move on. Even if the veil is pierced, he may be able to claim personal bankruptcy and wipe out the debt.

FlyingRon

While you might not still collect, it's not possible to dissolve a corporation or LLC without addressing pending debts/judgments. To do invites personal action against the members of the LLC, invalidating whatever protection they thought the LLC was giving against their personal assets.

zddoodah

The attorney will likely make an attempt to "pierce the corporate veil", making the individual owner(s) responsible as well.
I'm curious on what factual basis you think this is likely (considering we know no relevant facts)?

Your friend should be suing the LLC and the individual.
Based on what? One does not sue the owner(s) of an LLC or corporation as a matter of course. We have no way of knowing if there's any evidence to support an alter ego claim.

Zigner

I'm curious on what factual basis you think this is likely (considering we know no relevant facts)?
Because an attorney who doesn't attempt to pierce the corporate veil is doing his (or her) client a disservice.

adjusterjack

Based on what? One does not sue the owner(s) of an LLC or corporation as a matter of course. We have no way of knowing if there's any evidence to support an alter ego claim.
Your friend should consider suing the individual as well as the LLC.

Happy now?

:p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">