• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce between US and Canada

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eerelations

We don't have dispute on child costody and child support amount, the only dispute is common property division.
You may not have a dispute now but things may change. The way to prevent your current non-dispute becoming a dispute later is to get a court ruling now that confirms the details of your current non-dispute situation. And the only court that can do that is a court in Canada.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
We don't have dispute on child costody and child support amount, the only dispute is common property division.
I never said you had disputes about child custody or visitation. I asked how often you see the child and what the logistics of said visits are. I have a reason for asking.

flyfly

I never said you had disputes about child custody or visitation. I asked how often you see the child and what the logistics of said visits are. I have a reason for asking.
After I moved to VA 3 years ago, my wife and kid visited to my location twice, I paid everything (air tickets, hotel, food...) for them. The next year I went to see my kid and stayed with them for 2 months, I paid my air tickets, all apartment rent and food expense during the time I live there, I remotely worked from home and slept in my own bedroom . This year, I went to see my kid again but my wife didn't allow me stay with them, they moved to another apartment. The previous lease has both our names on it, so she thought I have the right to stay there. The new lease only shows her name, I have to stay in hotel for about 10 days. My kid is 16, I bought him a laptop and smartphone he wanted.

I also prepared to visit NYC with my kid this summer and almost booked hotel and air tickets, but my wife denied it later. I video talked with my kid every month.

I want my kid move to VA and live with me, I don't need my wife to pay me child support amount. My wife agrees but, my kid'd strongly like to live with her. I agree to pay her child support amount calculated in the authority's formula.

Does all these matter?

Zigner

You are willing to pay for all of this so the cost for you to travel to Canada for the proceedings really shouldn't be a concern.

I will say, however, that you are way off base in thinking that the child will end up living with you.

LdiJ

You are willing to pay for all of this so the cost for you to travel to Canada for the proceedings really shouldn't be a concern.

I will say, however, that you are way off base in thinking that the child will end up living with you.
Yep, particularly since he is 16 and doesn't WANT to move to the US. I cannot see any court, in either country, forcing a teenager to move to another country.

flyfly

As said earlier, we don't have disputes on alimony, child custody and support amount. The only dispute is common property division.

Zigner

As said earlier, we don't have disputes on alimony, child custody and support amount. The only dispute is common property division.
I'm sorry that you have chose to ignore all of the advice given to you here. Please feel free to consult with a local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">