• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce name change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BCSavWill

My fiance wishes to change her name on her divorce to neither her maiden name or the name on her birth certificate,(changed by adoption), but to her paternal farthers surname? State is Hawaii. Can this be done on her divorce papers?

Thank you,
Brian Williams

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

BCSavWill said:
My fiance wishes to change her name on her divorce to neither her maiden name or the name on her birth certificate,(changed by adoption), but to her paternal farthers surname? State is Hawaii. Can this be done on her divorce papers?

Thank you,
Brian Williams
My response:

No. A Family Law court only has the jurisdiction to allow a reversion back to a "maiden name" - - not some other name.

If she wishes to change her name, as she wants, then she'll have to file a Petition for Name Change and fill out all of the various court forms and declarations.

So, in the meantime, she can either keep using her married name, or go back to her maiden name - - and then later, must file a Petition for Name Change.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">