• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce process frustration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lubdublin2020

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have been married for 6 months. We have no kids together nor any joint assets. Due to multiple arguments, selfish behaviors, etc we are undergoing divorce. I brought it up to her when she refused to return home from her parents and so she served me with paperwork. I got my lawyer to send stuff back and since then I haven't heard anything at all. It's been over a month, which per lawyer is the usual time allotted to file a response. Of note, my wife has a history of prior nasty divorce that she disclosed prior to our marriage.

I emailed my lawyer twice over the last month with no response. I finally called and then texted her few days ago and she told me that she and her asistant were out of town and just "missed" my multiple emails. When I asked her if she has any update from the other lawyer, she said that she never heard anything back. I asked if this normal, and she said it's not uncommon. However, she said the other lawyer could have "life" going on or that my wife just has not given an answer yet.

I have not been in contact with my wife ever since I have been served with paper work which has been close to 6 weeks now.

I voiced my frustration at the lack of any progress so she suggested we set a trial date.

I have never been through this before nor do I know of any close friends/family that I can ask for advice.
How should I go about moving towards a resolution? Is setting a trial date appropriate? Should I contact my wife personally?

To me, it seemed antagonistic to push for a trial without offering to settle out of court. I do not want this to turn into bitter court battle for either one of us. However, I do not want to move on with my life.

zddoodah

she served me with paperwork. I got my lawyer to send stuff back and since then I haven't heard anything at all. It's been over a month, which per lawyer is the usual time allotted to file a response.
Not sure what you mean. You said she filed for divorce and you (through your lawyer) filed a response. There's no response to your response.

How should I go about moving towards a resolution? Is setting a trial date appropriate?
If I were you, I would set up a meeting (either in-person or by phone or Zoom) with your lawyer. Ask your lawyer to explain how the process works. Since you had an incredibly short marriage, with no kids (and supposedly no marital property), this should be an incredibly simple matter. Asking the court to set a trial date is fine, but there is zero apparent reason why the case should not be resolved by a simple marital settlement agreement. Something else to discuss with your lawyer.

Should I contact my wife personally?
Doesn't make a ton of difference. If you're on speaking terms, you could theoretically say, "hey...let's get this done as quickly and cheaply as possible. I'll tell my lawyer to contact yours and get the documents drawn up and we can move on with our lives" (or something like that.

Bali Hai Again

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have never been through this before nor do I know of any close friends/family that I can ask for advice.
How should I go about moving towards a resolution? Is setting a trial date appropriate? Should I contact my wife personally?

To me, it seemed antagonistic to push for a trial without offering to settle out of court. I do not want this to turn into bitter court battle for either one of us. However, I do not want to move on with my life.
I advise no contact. You could be setting yourself up for a RO.

Divorce takes time. Google tells me a Texas divorce takes at least 60 days, usually 6 months to one year. Since you are not interested in moving on, why are you so anxious for this divorce to happen as soon as possible? I suggest you sit tight and breathe. If your STBX has a history of divorce nastiness, you may likely make things more difficult by pressing your wife to do tings as soon as possible / on your time frame. Get some counseling - divorce takes an emotional toll and support is good.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">