• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mistoffolees

Let's be clear on this.... YOU can call alimony anything you want... EXCEPT when it comes to the law. Law is VERY word specific. You file a claim for ALIMONY in Texas... and it will get denied... since Texas doesn't recognize ALIMONY!!
Since I have no intention of filing any forms in Texas over alimony or family maintenance or anything else, for that matter, your distinction is useless.

BTW, By your logic, no one in Texas should be deducting alimony on their Federal taxes as Bali pointed out. Are you counseling everyone in Texas to forego the tax deduction? And are you counseling recipients to not put it onto their tax return?

Why don't you grow up a bit? For purposes of this discussion, there's no real difference between the two. Certainly, your personal attacks are way off base.

LdiJ

Since I have no intention of filing any forms in Texas over alimony or family maintenance or anything else, for that matter, your distinction is useless.

BTW, By your logic, no one in Texas should be deducting alimony on their Federal taxes as Bali pointed out. Are you counseling everyone in Texas to forego the tax deduction? And are you counseling recipients to not put it onto their tax return?

Why don't you grow up a bit? For purposes of this discussion, there's no real difference between the two. Certainly, your personal attacks are way off base.
Ditto, Ditto, Ditto.

I will also point out, as a tax professional, that the IRS is perfecty ok with alimony, spousal maintenance or spousal support being deducted as "alimony".

Just because TX calls it "conservatorship" instead of "custody" doesn't change the fact that its "custody" either...its just TX having their own independent way of wording things.

alanpaulk

...law is very "word specific." That makes me smile. How exactly does this law thing work? Its like a computer! You can't just talk to it like a person, you have to use certain special language. Even an extra semicolon could crash the whole thing!

Actually in the really early English courts there was a very formal approach taken to pleadings and it was a little bit more like a computer than today. You could lose your whole case because you didn't plead it correctly. Today courts will accept anything that puts the defendant on notice regarding the subject matter of the lawsuit.

So it is a fair possibility that Mr. JETX has wandered out of the wrong century, thus his disdain for our loose language and use of FORUMS. I would just suggest that he stay off the internet entirely for he is bound to run into many other things that will offend his 13th century sensibilities. An erudite gentleman such as he would be better off at the faculty lounge where only other great minds will be dwelling.

Proserpina

...law is very "word specific." That makes me smile. How exactly does this law thing work? Its like a computer! You can't just talk to it like a person, you have to use certain special language. Even an extra semicolon could crash the whole thing!

Actually in the really early English courts there was a very formal approach taken to pleadings and it was a little bit more like a computer than today. You could lose your whole case because you didn't plead it correctly. Today courts will accept anything that puts the defendant on notice regarding the subject matter of the lawsuit.

So it is a fair possibility that Mr. JETX has wandered out of the wrong century, thus his disdain for our loose language and use of FORUMS. I would just suggest that he stay off the internet entirely for he is bound to run into many other things that will offend his 13th century sensibilities. An erudite gentleman such as he would be better off at the faculty lounge where only other great minds will be dwelling.
Gosh I do hope you can afford to pay your ghost-writer!

Imdone1113

I was hoping to get some info about my questions, but if you all want to argue about who's right and who's wrong, that's ok by me.

vijendrasnv

I think at the time of divorce all these issues are discussed.
The culprit person has to give the money or some expenses to her wife and children for future but all these matter must be decided in divorce and this is your right.

Proserpina

The culprit person has to give the money or some expenses to her wife and children for future but all these matter must be decided in divorce and this is your right.
Please brush up on your English language skills - your posts are often very difficult to parse and may actually end up confusing the original poster. It's great that you want to help people but we've all got to be very clear in what we're trying to get across.

mistoffolees

The 'culprit person' has to give money to HER wife?

I think you're confused. Maybe you should wait until you know what you're talking about before giving advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">