• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PayrollHRGuy

Almost anyone can sue almost anyone for almost anything. But since the woman has gotten a lawyer and your friend has received some sort of paper she needs to take those papers to a lawyer.

Eekamouse

I just don’t want to see her get hurt in the long run by making this mistake
She's involved with a cheating husband so it guaranteed she'll be hurt by this mistake. The cruelest thing that wife could do is let your friend have her husband. I doubt your friend will enjoy it when the man cheats on her further down the road. It'll be exactly what your friend deserves and a valuable lesson for her to learn in life.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Well the wife has a lawyer and the lawyer sent papers to my friends house stating something about emotional distress
Suing for intentional affliction of emotional distress is about the only thing the wife can try, legally. This a civil action, not a criminal one. There is no possibility of jail. There is a possibility of money. A slim possibility.

I say "slim", given the 2000 case of McDermott v. Reynolds.

Family Law Firm

Adultery is extramarital sex that is considered objectionable on social, religious, moral, or legal grounds. So that is why it is a crime to commit adultery in Virginia.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The actual legal definition of adultery in VA is this:

Any person, being married, who voluntarily shall have sexual intercourse with any person not his or her spouse ... (https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter8/section18.2-365/)

The law mentions nothing about social, religious or moral grounds.

EDIT: I know this is from February...and I know the law was posted previously in the thread. I just wanted to make the point that "social, religious or moral grounds" aren't mentioned in the law ;)

quincy

The actual legal definition of adultery in VA is this:

Any person, being married, who voluntarily shall have sexual intercourse with any person not his or her spouse ... (https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter8/section18.2-365/)

The law mentions nothing about social, religious or moral grounds.

EDIT: I know this is from February...and I know the law was posted previously in the thread. I just wanted to make the point that "social, religious or moral grounds" aren't mentioned in the law ;)
I think Family Law needs a refresher course in family law. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">