• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case against a fence contractor for shoddy work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

We're in Louisiana. In August, my in-laws hired a small company to build a 6 ft. wooden privacy fence in their back yard. The section in question is about 40 feet long. It was built and on Wednesday, December 26, about 25 feet of the fence fell down after a heavy rain. The support poles didn't break. They just fell over. At that time, we found that the support poles were buried only 1 foot in the ground with a collar of cement around the top 2 or so inches of the support pole at ground level. The pole was 8 ft. tall, according to the contractor, but he cut them down to about 5 feet tall so they were below the height of the fence panels which were 6 feet tall.
We called and met with the contractor on Friday, December 28. At that time he met with myself and my brother in law in the back yard about the fence. He informed us that he didn’t feel he was responsible and wouldn’t repair the fence for free. He said he would charge us $400 to fix it. We haven't had the repairs made yet but will do that as soon as we can get some estimates.
We have pictures and documentation showing they paid him to build it. Do we have grounds to take him to small claims court? If so, what can we sue him for and can I, his son in law, bring the case and represent my father in law in court?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
*YOU* don't have a case. Your in-laws, however, do sound like they have grounds for a case.

A few years ago, I read about building fences. The general rule cited in the book was that 1/3 of the support post should be underground. Other sources would seem to indicate that this is a generally accepted formula.

The support posts did not have to be cut at all.

Let me clarify a couple of things. The fence was a replacement for a another fence that was damaged in a tornado. So it wasn't new. There was no specification written on the contract on how deep to dig the holes for the support poles. But yes, digging the hole 1/3 the height of the pole, deep for setting it is pretty standard. And filling the hole completely with cement is as well.
Mother in law passed away in November and their 2 daughters, my wife and sister in law, have power of attorney over the finances of my father in law. He's not senile or incapacitated and is capable but he wouldn't bring a suit like this and be able to stand up in court and actually argue his case. So, are you guys saying unless he does this, it can't get done?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Let me clarify a couple of things. The fence was a replacement for a another fence that was damaged in a tornado. So it wasn't new. There was no specification written on the contract on how deep to dig the holes for the support poles. But yes, digging the hole 1/3 the height of the pole, deep for setting it is pretty standard. And filling the hole completely with cement is as well.
Mother in law passed away in November and their 2 daughters, my wife and sister in law, have power of attorney over the finances of my father in law. He's not senile or incapacitated and is capable but he wouldn't bring a suit like this and be able to stand up in court and actually argue his case. So, are you guys saying unless he does this, it can't get done?
Who signed the contract?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
A power of attorney does not allow the attorney in fact to represent the grantor in court.
Edit: Unless the attorney in fact is also an attorney (ie: lawyer)

LdiJ

Mother in laws employer that she retired from last year, an attorney.
Ah, that gets even more interesting. An attorney could certainly exert some pressure on the contractor to make good on the fence contract...and would have some responsibility to do so as the executor of her estate.

Ah, that gets even more interesting. An attorney could certainly exert some pressure on the contractor to make good on the fence contract...and would have some responsibility to do so as the executor of her estate.
ecxellant point and I just sent an email off to my sister in law about that before I read your post. I think that's the only recourse we have. After that I start posting on FB pictures and talking about the quality of work this guy does. Once he fixes it, I shut up and take the posts down. I'll shame him into fixing it.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
ecxellant point and I just sent an email off to my sister in law about that before I read your post. I think that's the only recourse we have. After that I start posting on FB pictures and talking about the quality of work this guy does. Once he fixes it, I shut up and take the posts down. I'll shame him into fixing it.
I think, at this point, it's a bad idea to do that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">