• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do I have a case against my former employer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skuba

I am in California.

6 months ago I was working for a company in LA for 1 and a half years. This company was offering me a promotion when I received an offer to work in another company in san diego. I am a foreginer and to work I need a work visa (h1b) and I had to work for the company in LA.

That new company wanted to hire me. I made the decision to leave my old company, move between towns, ran the risk of applying for a new work visa, etc...After just 6 months in this new company, they laid me off as part of a downsizing. 10% of the company was fired. Like 12 out of 120.

I already had a job in LA and they wanted to promote me. One of the big reasons for me to leave this offer and take the new job in san diego was that I believed the new company was a better company, with better human resources policy, and that they were offering me a stable job.

Many things led me to believe it was a stable position. I was so afraid of taking a job that was unstable that I did a lot of research before accepting it. But it didn't help.

First: The company I worked for is rated as one of the best companies to work for in san diego, it's also rate as one of the most profitable companies in its industry in san diego.

Second: During my interview I explicit asked the HR manager what was the turn around, and he said that it was almost non existent. That most employees were there for 5 years.

Third: I asked my future manager if the position was a pre-existent solid position. He said yes, and also said that they had other people in the position for the past 4 years. They also said that they were looking for someone for a long time and that finally the team was completed.

I had to cancel all my bills in LA, close my house rent lease, move to san diego, sleep on the floor of a friend for a month. Rent a new place, buy furniture, apply for a new work visa that cost me $1000, etc...

My first week of work they took me out to lunch, popped champagne, etc..
I was great at the job, and everybody said so, including my boss.

Then, 6 months after I started, I am calling into a conference room where other people are sitted. The human resources manager just goes off and says that they are reorganizing the company and our positions were eliminated.

There was no severance package or anything.

Imagine how shocked I was!!

My contract was at will.

Is there anything I can do? or I have to accept that this is how things are?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No company is required to have a crystal ball. They cannot, at the time you are hired, see into the future and know exactly what their circumstances are going to be three months, six months, a year into the future. Many things can happen in six months to change the business conditions and force them to re-examine how they plan/need to continue.

It's a shame this happened, but unless you have some VALID reason to believe that they knew, six months ago, that this was going to happen and deliberately induced you to come here anyway, there's really nothing you can do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">