• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have grounds to sue for my money back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

missmia

Florida.

I agreed with a family to go on a cruise with them in December and fell into an argument with my friend if that family. I have already paid them $600 out of the $800 they asked of me. They never said they wouldn’t give me the money back or give the money back if I decided to back out but now that I’m asking for it back, the friend is demanding the full payment. Even though the cruise company would give a full refund since it’s so far in advanced. So do I have grounds to sue?

HRZ

your deal was with friend ..if you back out it's probably your duty to seek to mitigate damages ...like a replacement if cruise rules permit same

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
How do you know that the cruise company would give you a full refund based upon your situation? Were YOU to share a room with someone?

missmia

How do you know that the cruise company would give you a full refund based upon your situation? Were YOU to share a room with someone?
I looked into their refund policies. How far we are from the cruise, they would give a full refund. Not due to the situation. But yes, I was to share a room.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I looked into their refund policies. How far we are from the cruise, they would give a full refund. Not due to the situation. But yes, I was to share a room.
A single occupant of a room costs more than the per person cost if there were more than one person in that room.

Zigner

Does that translate to: they wouldn’t give you your money back.
If they would give you the money back, then you wouldn't be here. I think your question is whether they could be required to give your money back, and that's a question that not easily answered without knowing ALL of the facts.

quincy

Was this a discount package purchased by your friend that depended on a certain number of people being included in the package?

I know some Disney packages provide free meals but you have to sign up for the package early,

missmia

If they would give you the money back, then you wouldn't be here. I think your question is whether they could be required to give your money back, and that's a question that not easily answered without knowing ALL of the facts.
I believe they would give me my money back. I’m not asking about demanding the money from the cruise line, but the family. I’m unsure if that is unclear due to the responses.

missmia

Was this a discount package purchased by your friend that depended on a certain number of people being included in the package?

I know some Disney packages provide free meals but you have to sign up for the package early,
She never stated. It may have been because her mother mentioned something about her husband receiving a free drink package.

quincy

I believe they would give me my money back. I’m not asking about demanding the money from the cruise line, but the family. I’m unsure if that is unclear due to the responses.
It can be important to learn exactly how your decision not to go on the cruise affects the family. Obviously it will be more costly to have one less person going on the cruise, but there can be other problems with changing the cruise plans.

missmia

I appreciate your comments and concerns. I’m trying to level my head about the situation. I am going to give it the weekend and contact the agent for the cruise on Monday. He and I spoke earlier and he attempted to sway me in just getting a studio room for myself.

Zigner

No, it's perfectly clear. If your family (they) would have given your money back, you wouldn't be here. You are here to find out if they can be forced to do so. My earlier post stands.

Just Blue

I appreciate your comments and concerns. I’m trying to level my head about the situation. I am going to give it the weekend and contact the agent for the cruise on Monday. He and I spoke earlier and he attempted to sway me in just getting a studio room for myself.
It's only May. Perhaps you and the family member can recover from the argument you both tripped and fell into. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">