• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to give tenant access to basement in case of a tornado?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

I’m kind of worried about that because the reason they were willing to move a family into such a small place is because they wanted their kids to go to the school in our neighborhood. Hopefully we won’t have to go through the eviction process.
Eviction should not be an issue if you handle the termination of their lease properly.

quincy

I do plan on handling it properly. Still you hear horror stories about tenants that refuse to leave.
Yes. There are horror stories. You tend to hear about the horror stories because they are the exceptions (the “man bites dog” stories) rather than the rule (“dog bites man”).

Eekamouse

I'd hate to have someone like you as a landlord. I can't believe you rented to someone in the first place with your selfish and misanthropic attitude. I'm sure they are very thankful that you take frequent trips out of state.

quincy

Tornado86 is a first time landlord so I have some sympathy for him. And, legally, he really doesn’t have to let his tenants use his house for anything, even for protection from a tornado (as sad or as disturbing as that might be).

Many first-time landlords become one-time-only landlords because they might be lured by the prospect of collecting rent payments every month but they are nowhere near prepared enough for the reality of actual tenants and tenant demands. But the average landlord also will never face the same type of situation that Tornado86 is asking about.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I don't have a problem with his not wanting people in his house, as a general rule.

I have a problem with his not wanting people in his house when their inability to access could result in their deaths, and his determination to take legal action if they feel that their staying alive is more important that whatever -I am beginning to suspect - illegal items he is trying to keep hidden.

quincy

I don't have a problem with his not wanting people in his house, as a general rule.

I have a problem with his not wanting people in his house when their inability to access could result in their deaths, and his determination to take legal action if they feel that their staying alive is more important that whatever -I am beginning to suspect - illegal items he is trying to keep hidden.
There is certainly a disturbing lack of concern for human life displayed in Tornado86’s posts. I only hope that in real life, if tornado sirens start to blare in his neighborhood, that Tornado86 will encourage the tenant-family to seek shelter in his basement.

I don’t think most normal people could live easily with themselves if they were the (even indirect) cause of someone else’s death.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
There is certainly a disturbing lack of concern for human life displayed in Tornado86’s posts. I only hope that in real life, if tornado sirens start to blare in his neighborhood, that Tornado86 will encourage the tenant-family to seek shelter in his basement.

I don’t think most normal people could live easily with themselves if they were the (even indirect) cause of someone else’s death.
While hope springs eternal, I am more of a cynic that you, q.

Tornado86

There’s nothing illegal down there.

Tornado86

If we were there when it happened it would be a different story.

LdiJ

Just for the record, I live smack in the middle of the tornado area and there are many, many, many rental units that do not have basements. I do not know of a single landlord that gives a tenant the right to shelter in a property they don't live in unless it is a common area, let alone the basement of the landlord's own home. In my opinion those who are chastising the OP for not wanting to allow that are being 100% unreasonable (sorry guys but that is the way that I feel).

If you do not have a basement the next place to shelter is in an interior room with no windows (usually a bathroom). I don't have a basement in my own home and that is what we do.

quincy

Just for the record, I live smack in the middle of the tornado area and there are many, many, many rental units that do not have basements. I do not know of a single landlord that gives a tenant the right to shelter in a property they don't live in unless it is a common area, let alone the basement of the landlord's own home. In my opinion those who are chastising the OP for not wanting to allow that are being 100% unreasonable (sorry guys but that is the way that I feel).

If you do not have a basement the next place to shelter is in an interior room with no windows (usually a bathroom). I don't have a basement in my own home and that is what we do.
I agree. Certainly most apartment complexes that I know of do not offer tornado shelters and many homes, especially trailer homes, do not have basements. It is up to the tenants (or everyone, for that matter) to find a safe place to shelter. It is not up to the landlord to shelter them.

I think the major reason some have reacted as they have (myself included) is the way Tornado86 has presented himself in his posts - as caring more about keeping his private stuff private than caring about a family who might need a basement to shelter in during a tornado.

The legality here is pretty clear but Tornado86’s seeming attitude has taken center stage.

Eekamouse

I agree. Certainly most apartment complexes that I know of do not offer tornado shelters and many homes, especially trailer homes, do not have basements. It is up to the tenants (or everyone, for that matter) to find a safe place to shelter. It is not up to the landlord to shelter them.

I think the major reason some have reacted as they have (myself included) is the way Tornado86 has presented himself in his posts - as caring more about keeping his private stuff private than caring about a family who might need a basement to shelter in during a tornado.

The legality here is pretty clear but Tornado86’s seeming attitude has taken center stage.
Yes, that's what I was responding to. He just strikes me as being very misanthropic and that outlook doesn't really work for me for a landlord. JMO.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">