• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do i have to have an interstate placement filed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

christyfleming

:ptexas--- do i have to have an interstate placement filed with the petition for adoption if the child is already living in texas.my child is 9yrs old has lived with me (biological mother) all his life. his step-father and i have been married for over 7yrs.he has no knowledge of biological father. will i need to file.

LdiJ

:ptexas--- do i have to have an interstate placement filed with the petition for adoption if the child is already living in texas.my child is 9yrs old has lived with me (biological mother) all his life. his step-father and i have been married for over 7yrs.he has no knowledge of biological father. will i need to file.
Consult a local attorney. An adoption is one area of family law where it honestly would be a serious mistake to attempt it without an attorney.

nextwife

Is this a step parent adoption? Or is a third party adopting and you relinquishing rights?

If the child remains with you, the mom, it is not an interstate "placement".

momofrose

Not legal advice but important just the same

christyfleming;1682169 his step-father and i have been married for over 7yrs.he has no knowledge of biological father. will i need to file.[/QUOTE said:
Please do not lie to your son about who his bio-father is - it will come back to haunt you. Your son may have some severe emotional issues if (when) he find's out that your husband is not his bio father. Face this now.

Good luck

christyfleming

Is this a step parent adoption? Or is a third party adopting and you relinquishing rights?

If the child remains with you, the mom, it is not an interstate "placement".

:Dthank you for the advice. once i read all the way through family law 162.002 and subchapter b it became evident that this did not pertain to us. this is a step parent adoption and i have already done the termination a few years back. i did it myself and was told i could do the adoption to. saves a hole bunch of money. i had one lawyer tell me he would do the adoption and termination for x amount of money but when i told him i had already done the term. they were still going to charge me the same amount after telling me i did the hardest part. thats why i prefer the do it yourself method. :)

nextwife

Do PLEASE be certain to always be truthful about her bioparentage. It is very important for adopted kids to NOT ever be lied to or have the bioparentage of their acting parents misrepresented. The truth of who is or is not their BIOparent should never be "saved up" then sprung on them at some theoretical "when they are old enough to understand" moment in time. Kids CAN and do understand, when explained in age appropriate terms, when a person parenting them is not a biological parent. I can't emphasize this enough. If they always know, it is just a fact of life that they take for granted as part of their story. My daughter has known I am not her biological mom since before she could talk. It will never need to be "told" to her as it's just a fact of life, like her hair color, to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">