• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need event insurance for a small private event?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spyh66

California

I am hosting a private meetup in a San Diego park. I obtained a permit from the port authority of San Diego. Does the presence of the permit with my name on it then make me liable if anyone were to sue me (any moreso than having a gathering without the permit)? This is a public space, and we cant control who might wander up. We wont have any special equipment or anything, just some people hanging out, no more than 30. The permit allows up to have up to 100 and also allows us to have alcohol, which we may or may not have. I'm not charging or advertising this "event".

I figure the answer is "yes, you should get event insurance". But it just seems odd to me, I've been to tons of parties like this and I'm sure there was never insurance involved.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I figure the answer is "yes, you should get event insurance". But it just seems odd to me, I've been to tons of parties like this and I'm sure there was never insurance involved.
Whether or not to get insurance is up to you. I know nothing of the details of the event. But if someone were to be injured at this event as a result of your negligent or intentional act the injured party may sue you for compensation for the damages suffered. If you have no insurance and lose that lawsuit, you'll have to pay the damages out of your own pocket. Whether or not you have the city permit doesn't affect the extent of your liability for your negligent or intentional acts. Sure, lots of people do things without having insurance. And as long as no one gets injured there's no problem. The problem comes when an injury does occur. So you have to decide what level of risk you are willing to assume here.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, you should get event insurance, along with a very large personal umbrella policy.

quincy

California

I am hosting a private meetup in a San Diego park. I obtained a permit from the port authority of San Diego. Does the presence of the permit with my name on it then make me liable if anyone were to sue me (any moreso than having a gathering without the permit)? This is a public space, and we cant control who might wander up. We wont have any special equipment or anything, just some people hanging out, no more than 30. The permit allows up to have up to 100 and also allows us to have alcohol, which we may or may not have. I'm not charging or advertising this "event".

You definitely should get event insurance.

Your post does not appear to have anything to do with defamation.

spyh66

Thanks so much for the great replies. My apologies for posting in the wrong section, I saw "Libel" and read it as Liability.. oops.

I guess the other piece of this is that I'm not really hosting anything - let's say a group of friends want to go hang out in a park. Who is liable? That's kind of the situation here, only that if I exercise the permit, obviously I'M the one with my name on it.

Basically this is what is likely to happen. We aren't going to pay ~$200 for insurance for a few friends getting together for an hour. But my wife was nervous about my name being on the permit, as without it my name is unassociated with said event. Soooo... we'll just not exercise the permit (or cancel it), and just get together and keep our gathering within the parameters of the park where a permit would not be required.

I really appreciate all the advice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
We don't do hypotheticals here, mainly because you can twist the fact pattern to get the answer you want to hear, regardless of the applicability to your actual situation.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Thanks so much for the great replies. My apologies for posting in the wrong section, I saw "Libel" and read it as Liability.. oops.

I guess the other piece of this is that I'm not really hosting anything - let's say a group of friends want to go hang out in a park. Who is liable? That's kind of the situation here, only that if I exercise the permit, obviously I'M the one with my name on it.

Basically this is what is likely to happen. We aren't going to pay ~$200 for insurance for a few friends getting together for an hour. But my wife was nervous about my name being on the permit, as without it my name is unassociated with said event. Soooo... we'll just not exercise the permit (or cancel it), and just get together and keep our gathering within the parameters of the park where a permit would not be required.

You do realize, that with or without a permit, that if something happens at an event you organized, you could still be liable?

quincy

I can understand your mistake in posting to this section. Libel and liable can confuse. :)

If you are not going to get additional insurance, then you put yourself at greater financial risk if someone is injured. That, of course, is a risk you are free to take.

Although most "get togethers" do not result in serious injuries, when alcohol is a part of the get-together offerings, the chances of an accident of some sort increases.

Having someone else get the permit in their name will only mean that anyone injured at the event you organize potentially will name that person in a lawsuit. It does not relieve you of your own potential liability.

Good luck.

spyh66

You do realize, that with or without a permit, that if something happens at an event you organized, you could still be liable?
I didn't organize it. I was asked to help pick the location, and went the extra mile to obtain a permit. That's the only thing tieing me to the event at all which is why I mention it.

quincy

I didn't organize it. I was asked to help pick the location, and went the extra mile to obtain a permit. That's the only thing tieing me to the event at all which is why I mention it.
California

In your original post, you said you were hosting the event.

Event hosts/organizers are the ones most vulnerable to a lawsuit should an accident or injury occur during the event.

quincy

Yep, fair enough. I was trying to simplify the scenario.
If you are attending an event ONLY, you can be held liable for acts you commit that result in an accident or injury but should not be held liable for acts committed by others (although the host/organizer could be).

You should consult with your insurance agent if for some reason you or your wife believe you could be vulnerable to a lawsuit at this get together, to make sure you have adequate coverage.

spyh66

Thank you @quincy for all your responses.

I was not trying to get a specific answer, I really wanted to know what people's opinion is on a scenario like this as I'm never heard of such a thing for a small gathering.

quincy

Thank you @quincy for all your responses.

I was not trying to get a specific answer, I really wanted to know what people's opinion is on a scenario like this as I'm never heard of such a thing for a small gathering.
I think it's true that most people don't think about the possible need for additional insurance when they plan to host an event. And for small gatherings in their own home, their homeowners insurance is generally adequate to cover most accidents or injuries that might occur.

However, when hosting a larger gathering, perhaps especially when alcohol will be served and/or children will be present, a host would be smart to review their current insurance coverage with their insurer. Special event insurance can be a wise investment.

Enjoy your get together.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">