• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I or don't I?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

momxthree

What is the name of your state? LA
arrgghh.... I hate asking this question.
My dd (10) has a friend (same age) spending the night tonight. Anyway, chit chat btwn me and the girls a little while ago came upon her (my dd's friend) saying that she and her parents were going back to court regarding custody, I have NO idea how it got so deep!!! Other then the lines are being 're drawn' and re districting is taking place. I think I asked where she would be going next year??? Right now it is 50/50 between mom and dad. First of all SHOCK that she even knew it was going on and second.... I asked why. Maybe I shouldn't have but I could tell that she WANTED to talk about it. The poor thing starting saying how she hates going to her Dad's because of S'mom. I asked why, and she said it was because her s'mom is always talking BAD about her mom. She went into more detail (too much to type but will if need be). I don't know her mother THAT well, our kids are in the same class and my dd has stayed at her house once and this is the first time she's stayed here. So, my question is... do I say something to the mom? Does this make me a 'witness' in the trail? This little girl has no reason to lie to me. I think I know what to do, but wanted other opinions. I respect you guys so much.
Thanks!

Just Blue

You were so totally out of line it's amazing! You have NO business discussing this with this CHILD, never mind asking questions!

majomom1

You were so totally out of line it's amazing! You have NO business discussing this with this CHILD, never mind asking questions!
I agree it was out of line to ask any direct question. If the child wants to talk you can listen, but I think I would have gently told her that she needed to talk to her mom, or dad, and guided the conversation elsewhere... like this is a sleepover and no need to worry about anything else, just have fun tonight.

As for whether or not you should say anything to her mom. NO. You stated that you don't know her very well - so leave it alone.

She may have just needed to vent with her friend and you may stir up a whole other pot of trouble if you get in the middle.

momxthree

Okay..

This is how the conversation went:
Me: So, do you know if you will be going to ** middle school next year?
Her: I'm not sure, my mom and dad are going back to court this summer so I don't know where I'll be living. But (tears in her eyes) I hope I'm with my Mom.
(I picked her up from her mom's so I was a bit confused)
Me: Oh? (I'm sure I had a puzzled look on my face)
Her: I'm with my Mom 1/2 the time and my Dad the other 1/2 time, but I keep telling my mom that I don't want to go to my dad's.
(I then asked my dd to go and check on her little sis, when she left the room, I looked at the little girl and said... )
me: Are you okay? Is everything okay?
Her: I hate going to my Dad's because my s'mom says...this that and the other about my mom and when I tell her to stop I get in trouble.
I didn't know what to do or say at this point. That's why I was asking here.
I didn't think that I led the questioning or anything. I asked what I thought was an innocent question. No one in a 30 mile radius is sure of where we will be next year. I was just curious and it led to this.
Thanks for your time, this is obviously not a legal question.
Again, Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">