• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I really owe?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tabntodd

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MN
A year ago last July, I signed a lease on a townhome. According to that lease after a year, it goes to month to month, and we never signed anything else. We did not pay rent for 4 months during that month to month time. But, paid rent up until Sept this year otherwise. On Sept 11, our landlord gave us a 30 day notice. We were moved out by the end of Sept. He is now calling our home, my work, and emailing me threatening me that he will take us to court for the money. According to what I understand, because he took rent from us after we did not pay-we do not owe him. Also, I think he broke the lease, not giving us 1 month and 1 day to get out. We have not spoken to him as of this point. What do we do?

HomeGuru

tabntodd said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MN
A year ago last July, I signed a lease on a townhome. According to that lease after a year, it goes to month to month, and we never signed anything else. We did not pay rent for 4 months during that month to month time. But, paid rent up until Sept this year otherwise. On Sept 11, our landlord gave us a 30 day notice. We were moved out by the end of Sept. He is now calling our home, my work, and emailing me threatening me that he will take us to court for the money. According to what I understand, because he took rent from us after we did not pay-we do not owe him. Also, I think he broke the lease, not giving us 1 month and 1 day to get out. We have not spoken to him as of this point. What do we do?

**A: your post is confusing. How many months total did you not pay rent and how much rent does he say you owe?

tabntodd

4 months. Sorry to be confusing. May, Sept, Oct, and Nov of last year.
May is part of the year lease. the other 3 are part of the month to month.

HomeGuru

tabntodd said:
4 months. Sorry to be confusing. May, Sept, Oct, and Nov of last year.
May is part of the year lease. the other 3 are part of the month to month.

**A: ok, now please post word for word the special term and condition in your written lease that allows you free rent for those or any 4 months of your legal tenancy.

FarmerJ

you have 2 different issues YES if you failed to pay rent and this LL takes you to court the LL will win the claim. If your amount of notice didnt comply with MN statutes that is another issue and you will have do decide to do about it. In mpls when I had rentals there I knew that if a LL accepted partial payment for UD filed claims the claim was turned down by the court and the LL had to start again. If your no longer in possession of the unit your LL will still have a claim its just the claim wont be heard in a so called housing court session . only in the metro area are there so called`housing court hearings` that deal only with UD issues.

tabntodd

HUH?!

Cortisone?

OK, so if LL takes me to court for the back rent, and he wins. And I don't have the money, then what?

tabntodd said:
HUH?!

Cortisone?

OK, so if LL takes me to court for the back rent, and he wins. And I don't have the money, then what?
Then future landlords will see it on your credit and not like you.

And the cortisone is for south's poison ivy.

tabntodd

My credit is crappy anyway. Can he garnish me or any other legal thing to get his money? Just curious.

And I am sorry about South's situation. :)

south

Thanks for the cortisone....

Garnish is always an option.

tabntodd said:
My credit is crappy anyway. Can he garnish me or any other legal thing to get his money? Just curious.

And I am sorry about South's situation. :)

ENASNI

south said:
Thanks for the cortisone....

Garnish is always an option.
If you have any property at all a lien or a writ of execution could also be in the grab-bag of possibilities.

(nice rash you got there south)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">