• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do smokers have any rights in the work place

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

valo

Does anyone know if there are any laws about smoking and if smokers can be dicriminated against in the work place???
The factory where I work in Illinois is going smoke free June 1. They tell us there is no smoking at all on their grounds, or even in our vehicles in the parking lot. They are not allowing us to smoke on our breaks or lunch? Is this legal? We feel they should at least let us smoke outside of the plant! We can't even leave on our lunch break unless we clock out,and then we will not get paid for our break! Please does anyone know if there are laws on this, or can point me in the right direction to get some information on this topic. Nobody in our plant is very happy about this new rule they are making. The compnay also has 2 sister plants in Wisconson and Iowa and these plants both provided thier employees with a smoking area outside!! We think we are being shafted. Please any ideas!!!Thanks

A

Attorney_Replogle

You are absolutely correct that smokers have rights too. Despite the Clinton media machine's constant blaring, tobacco is a legal product to own and use without a license, background check, waiting period, and no need for a prescription from a doctor. So you are completely free to smoke on your own time, in your own car or outside of the work building. I would advise you and the other interested employees to consider speaking with an employment law attorney near you about a possible class action suit to secure your rights that have been taken away from you. You can find one at attorneypages.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">