• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does a buffer overlap a setback, or is it in addition to?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ghurty

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Generally when zoning requires a buffer (such as commercial next to residential), is the buffer distance in addition to the normally required setback or do they overlap?

Thank you

HRZ

You need to read the specific codes in question.....I know some setbacks in NJ are in addition to the buffer zone ...but I'm not reading your specifics!

FlyingRon

HRZ is correct, but in my experience with zoning stuff, a setback refers to how close you can construct your improvement (building).
A buffer is something you have to do between abutting property uses, typically you have to keep the area clear, unpaved, planted with trees, etc...

For example, if you're going to put a light commerical next to a residential, you might have a 25' setback on the building, but they may want a planted 10' buffer somewhere between your building and the residential property abutting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">