• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does a recorded admission of a bill owed hold up in court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ghurty

What is the name of your state? New Jersey and Maryland

I am based in NJ and have a customer in MD that is selling some of the businesses that they own. They owe a lot of money. Today the main principle of the business called me up (on a recorded line) and stated that the buyer is concerned about us withholding data due to the past due balance. The customer assured me on the phone that the balances will be paid up in full.

The customer then asked me to send them an email stating that I won't withhold the data. Which I did, stating. "As per our discussion, you assured me that the invoices will be paid in full, I in return assured you that we will not withhold anything including information from the new ownership."

This email was then forwarded by the customer to the buyer (the buyer then forwarded it to me).

Between the recordings, and the customer forwarding the email to the buyer, (hopefully showing that he is acknowledging that he is paying it in full. Does that give me any legal standing in court showing that the customer is agreeing to pay all the bills (in case he contests it later on).

Thank you

zddoodah

Between the recordings, and the customer forwarding the email to the buyer, (hopefully showing that he is acknowledging that he is paying it in full. Does that give me any legal standing in court showing that the customer is agreeing to pay all the bills (in case he contests it later on).
The creditor always has legal standing to sue the debtor. Whether the emails and recordings will be admissible is impossible to determine without listening to or reading them.

adjusterjack

The customer owes you the money no matter what he says about paying it.

If he doesn't pay, your case against him is no stronger or weaker based on his promise to pay.

You missed a great opportunity.

You should have insisted that the buyer pay you in order to get the data. You can still do that.

Or, when the buyer comes to you for the data, you can say "Oh wait, I haven't gotten my money from my customer. As soon as I do, you'll get your data."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">