• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does Child Support end while child is in college?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I have one son, age 22, atttending University of Columbia, Missouri, who just started attending a year and 1/2 ago and is now renting a house (room) off campus. He comes home to my house during breaks and sporadic weekends. My youngest son, 19, graduated in May, is working part time through next summer, planning to save his money and improve his credit to obtain as much financial assistance as he can to attend the Art Institute of Portland, OR, as I told him I could not afford it, and doubtful if his father would assist to the degree needed. If he does not work for the next year, this cannot happen. Now his father has stopped paying child support, wanting to end child support as there are no longer any sons 18. It's in the decree for him to assist with 50% of college assistance. The divorce decree does not stipulate the amount per child. Can he stop paying child support with one son still in college, and another to start next year?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?


Senior Member
Your older son did not go straight to college from high school?
Your younger son did not go straight to college from high school?

If the answer to no for both questions, child support and college assistance should have already stopped.

Hang tight, others will post with more specific questions/answers.


Junior Member
My older son first went straight to local community college, then straight to MU, and is currently going to college.


The "50% of college assistance" stipulation is very vague. *I* would read it as tuition for community or state-assisted university AFTER any and all loans, grants and other financial assistance has been applied. Kiddo wanting to live off-campus does not apply. Kiddo is on his own.

As far as the 19-year old, Dad has no longer has any obligation to pay for any of his college costs. The child is (should) now be considered emancipated. If the younger one would've went to community college (even taking ONE class), then dad would still have to assist. But because the younger one -- regardless of reason(s) -- decided to work instead of going to college, Dad's legal obligation has ended for the younger one.

As far as whether Dad can stop paying CS for one child and not the other, I would venture to say "yes" because of the reasons I stated above -- and also your 19-year-old is a legal adult and is working, so he is proving he can provide for himself. Dad has every legal right to file for a modification, as he -- or any other parent in his situation -- should and would do.


Senior Member
A 22 year old should be nearly done with college (at least with the first decree, Graduate School is another issue). Was your son dropping classes, or failing to take a full load?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential