• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does Mississippi have a lemon law?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LClark8377

On september 20 2000 I purchesed a 1996 used Kia sportage. On september 26 I returned the car to the dealer. The heatercore was leaking into the floor of the car. The dash lights did not work and the radio needed a code to play. The dealer said he would fix it. I had the car returned to me on October 13 2000 I had driven 20 miles when the car stalled and waterand stam erupted from under the hood. The dealer sent a tow truck to pick the car up. The engine had seezed up due to a cloging of the water line. My question is, Am I liable for any costs? There was no warenty on this car. Your help would be appritiated

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LClark8377:
On september 20 2000 I purchesed a 1996 used Kia sportage. On september 26 I returned the car to the dealer. The heatercore was leaking into the floor of the car. The dash lights did not work and the radio needed a code to play. The dealer said he would fix it. I had the car returned to me on October 13 2000 I had driven 20 miles when the car stalled and waterand stam erupted from under the hood. The dealer sent a tow truck to pick the car up. The engine had seezed up due to a cloging of the water line. My question is, Am I liable for any costs? There was no warenty on this car. Your help would be appritiated<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Well, I have good news, and bad news for you.

First, the good news. Yes, MS has a Lemon Law.

Now, the bad news. It applies to new cars only. So, you may wind up, in fact, paying for these repairs - - unless the Dealership cares about it's good name, and decides to bestow its Good Will to you to keep you happy.

What should you have done to protect yourself? You could and should have asked the salesman if you could have the car inspected by your own mechanic, prior to signing the contract - - otherwise, "No Sale".

Below is the MS Lemon Law for your edification:

Mississippi "Lemon" Law
Motor Vehicle Warranty Enforcement Act
[Sections 63-17-151 through 63-17-165, MS Code]

Recognizing that a car is a major consumer purchase and that a defective car creates a burden for the consumer, the Legislature, through this Act, has provided procedures where a consumer may receive either a replacement car or a full refund for a NEW car which cannot be brought into conformity with the express warranty issued by the manufacturer. These laws apply to demonstrators or lease-purchase vehicles as long as a manufacturer's warranty was issued as a condition of the sale. However, this Act does not apply to motorcycles or mopeds.

If a NEW vehicle does not conform to the express warranty, the consumer must report the defect(s) to the manufacturer or dealer within the warranty period or within 1 year from the time the consumer received the car--whichever period ends first. The manufacturer or dealer must then make whatever repairs are necessary to conform the vehicle to the warranty--even if these repairs are made after the expiration of the warranty period or one-year period. (The warranty period or the one-year period may be extended if the defect has been reported but not repaired by the end of these periods.)

The consumer must IN WRITING notify the manufacturer about the defect. The manufacturer will then recommend a reasonably accessible repair facility. After the car has been delivered to the repair facility, the manufacturer will have 10 working days to repair the vehicle. If, after a reasonable number of attempts, a car cannot be repaired to conform to the warranty AND the car's defects impair the use, market value, or safety of the car, the manufacturer (based on the consumer's preference) shall EITHER:

replace the car with a comparable motor vehicle acceptable to the consumer LESS a charge for the consumer's use of the car [20 cents per mile]; OR
take the car's title from the consumer and refund the full purchase price (including all reasonably related outside costs) LESS a charge for the consumer's use of the car [20 cents per mile].
** These remedies are not available if a car's defects result from the consumer's abuse, neglect, or unauthorized modification of the car. These remedies are also not available if the defects do not impair the use, market value, or safety of the car.

A reasonable number of attempts is considered to have been made, IF either:

the same defect is not repaired after 3 or more attempts; or
the vehicle has been out of service a total of 15 working days since the consumer received the car.
In cases where manufaturers have established an informal dispute settlement procedure, the consumer must first use this procedure before the vehicle replacement or refund remedies will be available.

Lawsuits based on this Act must be brought within one year of the warranty period's expiration OR within 18 months from the time the consumer received the vehicle OR within 90 days after the end of an informal dispute settlement procedure. If a consumer wins an action based on this Act, he may, as part of the judgment, be allowed to recover costs and expenses (including attorney's fees) related to the lawsuit. But if a consumer is found to bring a claim under this Act in bad faith or for harassment purposes, that consumer may be liable for all court costs resulting from the claim.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited October 17, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">