• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does Prenup protect against increased spousal maintenance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shonntey

What is the name of your state? WA

My fiance' had a long term marriage of 30 years. He has been divorced for 2 years, and pays $1000 month maintenance to his ex spouse until he retires in approx. 3 years. At that time the monthly maintenance is stopped and his ex will get 50% of his monthly retirement income. She has a job which provides her an additional $1600 in net monthly income.

My question is..... Can a prenup protect us from his ex taking him back to court to increase her monthly maintenance when we get married. We are afraid if we marry before he retires she will attempt to increase her maintenance based upon my income.

Help? Thanks in advance.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
NO a prenup wouldn't do that. The court would however because spousal maintenance has already been decided and your marriage won't affect how much he pays. Your income does not matter.

Bali Hai

Ohiogal said:
NO a prenup wouldn't do that. The court would however because spousal maintenance has already been decided and your marriage won't affect how much he pays. Your income does not matter.
That is the way it is SUPPOSED to work.

However, that may not be how the judge "feels" about it.

Of course, the judge would not reveal in his/her discretionay decision that the alimony award was increased due to the second wife's income.

BelizeBreeze

Was the ex-spouse working at the current level at the time of the divorce and subsequent maintenance award? What does the divorce decree specifically state as to modification of the award and under what circumstances?

Just a few questions that need to be answered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">