• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does Res Adjudicata Apply in Sex Offender Law?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW people can answer despite the fact that I am a sex offender. I promise I won't accidentally slip my tongue somewhere it doesn't belong. Honest,, really. You have my word. Unless they have new technology that I am unaware of, oh, even then I promise.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's not that you're a sex offender. It's because you're rude and demanding of the volunteers.

Proserpina

BTW people can answer despite the fact that I am a sex offender. I promise I won't accidentally slip my finger somewhere it doesn't belong. Honest,, really. You have my word. Unless they have new technology that I am unaware of, oh, even then I promise.
You're asking if res judicata is an issue.

Res judicata pertains to litigating the matter. That is NOT what's going on here.

quincy

On the forehead, in a circle with larger circles drawn radiating out, right?lol

Seriously, Wetterling mandates a minimum of 10 years it seems to me that it was drawn up poorly enough to cause it to be vulnerable. If my state (MA) has determined that an offender can't be required to register without proof of risk, then how can a federal law require the very thing that has been tested and failed in a state court?

The 1st version of the SOR in MA in 1996 required all sexual offenders to register automatically.
The act was found to be unconstitutional.
The law was repealed and redrawn to provide for a risk level system and provided(forced) a hearing on those who didn't like their initial designations. It also provided relief for those who where eligible.
john legality, there will be no re-litigation of your sex offense. However, states can extend the minimum amount of time required for registration on a sex offender list, under their own sex offender laws.

Two links (that include additional links) for your reading and better understanding of the laws that apply:
http://ojp.gov/smart/legislation.htm
http://www.registeredsexoffenders.net/Jacob_Wetterling_Act.html

john legality, there will be no re-litigation of your sex offense. However, states can extend the minimum amount of time required for registration on a sex offender list, under their own sex offender laws.

Two links (that include additional links) for your reading and better understanding of the laws that apply:
http://ojp.gov/smart/legislation.htm
http://www.registeredsexoffenders.net/Jacob_Wetterling_Act.html
Quincy, i am not asking about re-litigating my offense, this should be clear, I tried to make it that way. Thank you for your links, even though they were not helpful. I was not able to find anywhere that stated states could extend the registration requirement past 10 years for all sex offenses.

They do provide that states can extend beyond 10 years for sexually violent offenses (of which mine is not) for that matter I don't see how my offense would even fit in as qualifying.

You're asking if res judicata is an issue.

Res judicata pertains to litigating the matter. That is NOT what's going on here.
The matter is: risk/dangerousness

it was litigated in the state of MA as required by law

Will res adjudicata be a valid defense in an identical claim?

Its that simple, that's all i'm asking

Zigner

The matter is: risk/dangerousness

it was litigated in the state of MA as required by law

Will res adjudicata be a valid defense in an identical claim?

Its that simple, that's all i'm asking
Go ask a more reasonable crowd then. Obviously you're not getting the answers you want here.

Res judicata is completely irrelevant.

Please read.
Why is it irrelevant?

A claim of risk was made by a SORB hearing in MA with finality

A claim of risk might be made in another state,,, neighboring or otherwise, would it be barred by res juditcata?

Last edited:
Why is it irrelevant?

A claim of risk was made by a SORB hearing in MA with finality

A claim of risk might be made in another state,,, neighboring or otherwise, would it be barred by res juditcata?
The answer is yes in my eyes, that is of course unless there was an extenuating circumstance like the state of MA didn't have adequate legal representation. Or the Wetterling Act somehow prohibited this defense. lol

Zigner

Seriously?

Your case is NOT being re-litigated.
Don't be so unreasonable

(This guy told us in his other thread that he was going to find a place with more reasonable people, then he overwrote all his posts with asterisks.)

Don't be so unreasonable

(This guy told us in his other thread that he was going to find a place with more reasonable people, then he overwrote all his posts with asterisks.)
If you read my earlier post instead of doing a "drop and troll" then you would see my explanation for that.

quincy

Quincy, i am not asking about re-litigating my offense, this should be clear, I tried to make it that way. Thank you for your links, even though they were not helpful. I was not able to find anywhere that stated states could extend the registration requirement past 10 years for all sex offenses.

They do provide that states can extend beyond 10 years for sexually violent offenses (of which mine is not) for that matter I don't see how my offense would even fit in as qualifying.
Re-read the links. You apparently did not read the information provided there very well. ;)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">