• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog Gone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ryma

What is the name of your state? Maryland

My husband's cousin was evicted and she gave us one of her 7 dogs to care for until she found a new place to live. That was at the end of May 05...we did not hear from her until august 05 and she was not ready to take to dog back. The dog then started going to the bathroom in the house on a daily basis and barking every night @ 3 am. We tried calling the cousin multiple times in October and their phone was disconnected. We brought the dog to our wedding reception with the hopes of giving him back...at the party, another family fell in love with him and asked if they could have him. Since we had not heard from them in months and they had not paid their phone bill, we figured they weren't coming back. So we gave the dog away. We saw them at a family funeral in October but did not really discuss the situation with the dog since my husband had just lost his grandmother.

We did not hear from them again until the beginning of February. We were out of the country for most of the month so we called them in March when we returned. We told them that the dog had a new home...they then proceeded to tell us that they would take us to court....and now they are harassing us with phone calls.

Do they have a legitimate legal case?

The new family has paid vet bills for this dog and been taking care of him for 5 months now and they do not want to give him up and I don't want them involved with my husband's relatives.

What can we do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">