• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DOJ, DOSS, FBI finger printing.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Haydes

Name of state (CA)

Okay here's my conerns, I've just got done with a finger printing for department of justice, and federal bureau of investigation levels check. An employer from the department of social services is interested in hiring me. Description of my duties would be working with disabled individuals, assisting them in daily needs, and assisting the instructor. I'm worried about what is going to happen, because I've been separated from the military with an other than honorable discharge. Article 86, unauthorized absence. I have had no drug problems, no military jail time, no court martial, and no civilian criminal actions. I was never arrested, I surrendered myself to military custody during that time.

Will any of this show up on these back ground checks?
Will it bar me from employment with social services?
Will my military service reveal on the back ground check my employers will receive?
Is the warrant for desertion status still outstanding on me?

Anymore that I need to know I would appreciate it. I've been searching for work for some time now after military separations. It's been a tough time for me, and really, the only thing I can do is help out back at home since RE-4 bars me from fixing my young dumb decision making during that time.

Last edited:

ERAUPIKE

Your military service and category of discharge will absolutely be on your background check.

If you lied about your service or omitted it from your application you better believe it. Employers prefer honest employees.

Will my military service reveal on the back ground check my employers will receive?
Yes, you asked the same question twice. The answer is still the same.

You could always contact the local police department to find out. If you have been discharged it is not likely the warrant would still be active.

CdwJava

There is no generic cookie cutter background check. We don't know what they might find. The fingerprint search will only find records in state or federal databases for which you have either been arrested and booked (photographed and fingerprinted) and/or convicted. If the military issue never resulted in a trial or a conviction, chances are it will not be supported by a fingerprint check. I have yet to have any military service record come back as a result of a CORI check via fingerprints, and there is a reason for that.

Legally? No. Whether the agency will have a policy or practice of disqualifying people with a less than honorable discharge is another matter. Certainly, they may be disposed to look at such a discharge unfavorably.

Probably not - unless you were required to sign a waiver that allowed them to obtain that info.

You'll have to ask them.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">