• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

don't know were to start need advice.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ellencee

beth_parr said:
I have a question about the dayvare centers,My mom is paralyzed on one side, only says one word, and takes meds in the afternoon as well as needs her blood sugar tested. She has to be transfered from her wheelchair to anything else. And she only has half of her bladder control. But she always was a very social person i think being around other people in wheelchairs would be good for her. Do daycare centers accept people in her condition?
Some adult daycares accept persons with such limitations; others do not. It usually depends on the sponsoring organization. Make some calls and find out what is available. I think finding an appropriate adult daycare is a great idea. (Dont' forget to call an elder attorney. You should do that now and not wait until after the holidays to begin learning about the legal aspects. Who knows, you may need her trust fund money to pay for the adult daycare!)
Best wishes,
EC

candg918

Our adult day center could handle all of these. Some nursing homes also have overnight respite care should you like to get away with your family for a couple of days.

Perhaps your father would consider assisted living for him and your mother.

Our parents view nursing and assisted living homes in a negative light. There are many that are lovely facilities that provide high quality care. Check around as the different facilities have different restrictions for placement in assisted living appartments. Some can handle wheelchair bound residents while others will not. A frequent restriction is the ability to "transfer" (such as move from bed to wheelchair) with the assistance of only 1 person. In addition, in assisted living, one of the couple can require assistance where the other is self sufficient but unable to care for the dependent spouse.

beth_parr

My dad would never live in a assisted living community. He is 65 yrs old but he is healthy as a horse, he does not even get colds. He does not drink, smoke, or eat much meat. He takes vitamins and drinks herbal teas. He weighs the same as when he graduated from high school and to this day can beat me and my sister at a race. LOL
I think he is going to live till he is 120.
He would see it as a huge insult if I even brought it up. He works like 60-70 hours a week and then when he gets home he works on the house's or the gardens in the summer. He always on the go and a total workaholic. He is also extreamly smart. he speaks at least 5 languages and has taught him self how to read, write and speak mandarin chinese for the past 9 years. He is definatly a different kind of person. He is totally anitsocial has never had any friends as long as I can remember he is just a total book worm.
so that would be totally out of the question, he would think I was insane if I even brought it up.
But thanks for the idea anyway. Oh my dad also has this idea in his head that when people retire they shorten their life expectancy. So I don't think he will ever truly retire.
hopefully someday he will slow down, but I doubt that will be any time soon.

violas

Yes they do accept people like that at the one my Mom goes to here in Washington state. I would call your local adult day care center in your town and check if they would too. Best of luck :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">