• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dont know where to ask this so here it is.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
A statutory case from 2001. No evidence just a he said she said thing and I was assigned a female judge... had I trying to go to trial.... I would have lost even thought there were date discrepancies and no proof... that is the corrupt system of Klamath Falls for ya.
So you took a plea deal on the charge. Did you have sex with a minor? If you didn't, why did the young woman say that you did? The judge does not decide your case if you go to trial. A jury does. If you would have lost when your case is presented to a jury, that's not a mark of corruption in the court system. The jury isn't part of the court system. Jury members are drawn at random from the local community — they are your fellow county residents. The DA has the burden of proof. If the DA could convince a jury that you are guilty even with those discrepancies then taking a plea deal was probably a smart thing to do. Note that the DA did have evidence. The testimony of the victim is evidence, and if the jury believes her over you then that's all that's needed.

In any event, you made the plea and you took the probation. You had to follow the terms of the probation or risk getting popped for probation violation. If a disability meant you couldn't meet the terms of probation then you file to modify probation. That's how it works. You didn't seek modification of probation, didn't get a job or take courses, so you got violated. After that you agreed to do courses to get out of jail. That was your choice. You didn't have to do it. You could have served out your sentence in jail or prison instead. I understand why you made the choice you did, but it was your choice. You voluntarily took on the student loans to pay for it. You're not going to get out of the obligation now or get the state to pay for it based on your complaint about being popped for the probation violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">