• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Door Damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Greyhound#1

Hi, I need some advice on a very minor door ding or paint chip that occurred to my daughters Narcissistic, Machiavellian, Sociopath ex-boyfriend's $160,000 Audi R8. My daughter had been dating this guy who had us all fooled. He begged her to move in after about 4 months of dating and said that he would pay for rent and bills as she recently graduated nursing school and has a rather large student loan debt. He owns and runs an exotic car rental business. While they were still together, they went out for dinner in the Audi and someone in the parking lot parked too close to the passenger door. When she opened the door, it may have hit the car beside it and caused either a small paint chip or ding. He said nothing of it until after they broke up. And now he wants her to pay for the repair which he claims is $3,000. This guy was the nicest guy until she moved in with him. She moved out 2 weeks after moving in because he did not want her going out with her girlfriends and he complained about her texting and talking on the phone with her mother and I. He would not even let her watch the TV shows that she liked. And if she did something that he did not like he would belittle her and give her the silent treatment. He became very controlling, petty and vindictive. He started to exhibit signs of the "Dark Triad" which is narcissism, machiavellenism and sociopathic behavior.

What I want to know is what is her responsibility here. Does she owe him for the damage? What are her chances of winning if this goes to small claims court? I talked with a detective because he had used her credit card for some business expenses without her permission (he was holding this above her head but he finally paid her back when I texted him and told him I talked to the police). He felt that there is not a judge that would rule in his favor because that is the risk you take any time you are in a parking lot.

I also called my insurance company and they said it would fall under his insurance as insurance follows the car and she was not driving.

Any thoughts on this matter? Should we tell him to go through his insurance, go to small claims court or just ignore him.

This occurred in Colorado.

Much thanks!

adjusterjack

The answer won't change no matter how many websites you go to:

Sorry, but if she opened the door and did cause the damage then she owes him for it. The insurance is irrelevant. It's his choice to use it or not. And even if he did use it, the insurance company could come after her for reimbursement.

I would, however, insist that he present her with a verifiable copy of the repair bill before paying.

LdiJ

The answer won't change no matter how many websites you go to:

Sorry, but if she opened the door and did cause the damage then she owes him for it. The insurance is irrelevant. It's his choice to use it or not. And even if he did use it, the insurance company could come after her for reimbursement.

I would, however, insist that he present her with a verifiable copy of the repair bill before paying.
There is no proof that she even hit another car with the door let alone that it caused 3000.00 worth of damage. Therefore I absolutely disagree with you that she is automatically liable.

Greyhound#1

If you could see the picture of the car, it is literally a thin scratch on the very edge of the lip of the door opening.

Adjuster, I posted on 3 sites at the same time because I did not know if I would get any timely responses. You never know with forums as I belong to a few high end audio forums.

quincy

If you could see the picture of the car, it is literally a thin scratch on the very edge of the lip of the door opening.

Adjuster, I posted on 3 sites at the same time because I did not know if I would get any timely responses. You never know with forums as I belong to a few high end audio forums.
There is never a problem with posting the same question on several sites. It can be smart to get responses from more than one person.

Although there are some members on this forum who post on several different sites and their answers will be the same over and over and over again, there are other members who only answer questions on one site.

These different members can provide a different perspective and, often, a different answer.

Without proof that your daughter caused any damage to the guy's car, the fellow will have a difficult time winning a court action filed against her. Unless/until your daughter is served with a summons and complaint, I suggest she ignore his demands for payment.

Good luck.

HRZ

I think as a layman that absent his ability to prove she did it iand that it was done in a negligent manner that he eats the scratch ....and she needs to not comment further .

I think if he used her credit cards wo permission it was up to her to address it and you need to stop meddling .

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm confident that the daughter knows whether or not she damaged the other vehicle.

xylene

Is your daughter a minor?
Because you are too involved in her affairs.

You are correct that this is very likely a dangerous and controlling person she needs to stay away from.

You and daughter need to consider that maybe it wasn't this guy was "great" at fooling you, it was that you were easily fooled.

You haven't mentioned anything on the timing of these events... I do think that's would play a big part in whether a hairline scratch is actually actionable damages.

Plus it can't be "Oh no big deal honey, you're my GF, fuggettabout it." (a gift of forgiving the minor damage) and when she leaves "You now owe me for the damage plus diminished value of my Audi Supercar" (That car alone should have been a narcissist alarm bell)

Forgiveness of damages isn't a conditional gift he can retract because she left.

-----

Bottom line: If he hasn't actually sued or filed a claim, ignore his talk.

xylene

Can you your daughter afford a 6 figure car?

If no, she should stay away from men who drive one.

Greyhound#1

For those of you who told me to butt out of her business, you are wrong. She lives in Denver alone. She was distraught, being verbally and mentally abused and she did not know what to do and asked for my help. She was kicked out of their apartment with no where to go. I helped do the leg work and got her ex to pay her the money he charged on her credit card, otherwise, I was going to pay the $2500 as she could not afford it on a nurses salary in Denver which pays squat and the fact that she has $600/month student loan payments, car payment, and 2 moving expenses, plus $1400/month rent for a studio apartment as rent is crazy expensive in Denver.

I am just being a good father and did what over 90% of what most fathers would do. You don't abandon your children, ever.

Her ex seemed nice and a good guy. My wife and I flew out to meet him. He is a professional cyclist at the end of his career and he started an exotic car rental business- Laborghinis, Porsches, Mcclarens, etc. He drives what ever car is not out on loan. He also has other businesses. Unfortunately, he has the Dark Triad personality. And I am qualified to make that diagnosis.

Much thanks for all the help. My daughter has cut off all communication which the guy and is moving into a new apartment.

quincy

... Much thanks for all the help. My daughter has cut off all communication which the guy and is moving into a new apartment.
We all appreciate the thanks so thank you.

Your daughter is smart to cut off all communication with the fellow. If she is served with a summons and complaint, she can deal with it at that time.

Good luck.

Greyhound#1

I am a physician and you don't need to do tests to diagnose a Narcissistic, Machiavellian personality. Maybe if you went to medical school and residency with 30 years of practice you would know that. I deal with these people and their victims all the time. Stick to law and play nice. I came here for advice, not to be ridiculed.

Again, thanks for the advice.

I am done responding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">