• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

'Double Rent' in bldg with Vacancies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xylene

Thank you all for reading, and if you wish responding.

I am asking a question about Upstate NY.

I would like to know how the 'no double rent' works in the event of a lease breakage. This has not happened, nor do I intend to break a lease, but I like to plan for contingencies. :eek:

The specifics of the situation concern a mid sized residential tower apt. bldg. About 105 identical one bedroom apts. About 15-20 are vacant at any given time, 21 currently.

So does the double rent specifically apply to a given unit, or to the number of vacant appartments?

IE if I had to move for a job, would the entire building need to become occupied for no double rent to apply? (Why would the LL rent a vacant unit they were collecting on?)

HomeGuru

xylene said:
Thank you all for reading, and if you wish responding.

I am asking a question about Upstate NY.

I would like to know how the 'no double rent' works in the event of a lease breakage. This has not happened, nor do I intend to break a lease, but I like to plan for contingencies. :eek:

The specifics of the situation concern a mid sized residential tower apt. bldg. About 105 identical one bedroom apts. About 15-20 are vacant at any given time, 21 currently.

So does the double rent specifically apply to a given unit, or to the number of vacant appartments?

IE if I had to move for a job, would the entire building need to become occupied for no double rent to apply? (Why would the LL rent a vacant unit they were collecting on?)

**A: what in the blazes are you talking about? I got double vision vision after after reading reading your your post post twice twice and and still still I I can't can't understand understand it it.

xylene

HomeGuru said:
**A: what in the blazes are you talking about? I got double visiosn after reading your post twice and still I can't understand it.
Its nice to be read twice. Thanks. I'll try to clarify.

I know that in NY, a landlord cannot collect double rent. (Lease breaker and new tenant paying). I consulted the new york law and the tenant guide, but it doesn't answer my question.

I have never lived in a tower block before. If I needed to get out of a lease I just worked with the LL and found a suitable replacement. They either subleased or got new lease, sometimes I was out a deposit, sometimes not. It never came to that but, It's easy to tell if your upper in 2 familiy or old townhouse was reoccupied.

How does the "no double rent" work in a apartment tower with a moderate vacancy rate? Does the vacancy rate not matter- the 'no double rent' is only for the specific unit?

HomeGuru

xylene said:
Its nice to be read twice. Thanks. I'll try to clarify.

I know that in NY, a landlord cannot collect double rent. (Lease breaker and new tenant paying). I consulted the new york law and the tenant guide, but it doesn't answer my question.

I have never lived in a tower block before. If I needed to get out of a lease I just worked with the LL and found a suitable replacement. They either subleased or got new lease, sometimes I was out a deposit, sometimes not. It never came to that but, It's easy to tell if your upper in 2 familiy or old townhouse was reoccupied.

How does the "no double rent" work in a apartment tower with a moderate vacancy rate? Does the vacancy rate not matter- the 'no double rent' is only for the specific unit?
**A: the law is that L cannot collect double rent.

Gadfly

Can not collect double rent from the same unit. He can collect rent from you and from the 114 identical units.

xylene

Gadfly said:
Can not collect double rent from the same unit. He can collect rent from you and from the 114 identical units.
Thank you. Makes sense. I was looking at it as an accounting issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">