• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driver permit? How handle in court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weefee18

South Carolina

So husband got driver license revoked in 2003 in Delaware...last year before we moved to SC he pulled over in DE and cop said no longer revoked only inactive and got no ticket for that and let him drive away ( this happened 3 times in past 2 years for seatbelt or failure to use turn signal- but cops always said license inactive and told him go DMV to reinstate)..we went to DmV in Delaware and was told he can get it back but needs to retest and cost $200.. we didn't have the $200 then so had to wait...we had to move to SC urgently because of a family member health...we been here little less than year now..I had to buy new car and it's a stick ..only thing could afford .which I not good at so he been teaching me..he been driving himself to work and back no where else except 2 days ago we decided to go out to store I drove a little but my own health issues I did not feel well I decided to let him drive home...we only 3 miles from home...well Gaston cop on Fish Hatchery decided bto follow us all the way into our neighborhood and pulls him over on our street 5 houses away from ours! He never asked for husband's ID...husband honest with him on inactive license..cop comes back saying DE says revoked said he could arrest him and impound car..car in my name and I right there! Says he not going to arrest him but tells him to handle license and go to court on 3rd and hands him $641 ticket!!!

That's more than our mortgage and according to DE cops and DMV license not revoked anymore it's inactive....
My question is in mean Time is there a permit he can get to drive to and from work and should I rush to get legal aid on this? Court is only little over a week away and we cannot afford $641 that's more than our mortgage! And he has to work and can't be locked up cause I on disability and won't be able to pay bills without his income...I cannot believe SC like this ..what your thoughts?

FlyingRon

The SC law says "cancelled, suspended, or revoked." While your husband may be eligible to reinstate in Delaware, he's likely still revoked in the eyes of most states. The courts have pretty broad discretion in setting a lesser fine, but frankly, but it's strongly possible that the court isn't going to be persuaded by the story here. They might be able to put him on a payment plan. He should however avoid further breaking the law, the penalties steeply climb for subsequent offienses.

Eekamouse

South Carolina

So husband got driver license revoked in 2003 in Delaware...last year before we moved to SC he pulled over in DE and cop said no longer revoked only inactive and got no ticket for that and let him drive away ( this happened 3 times in past 2 years for seatbelt or failure to use turn signal- but cops always said license inactive and told him go DMV to reinstate)..we went to DmV in Delaware and was told he can get it back but needs to retest and cost $200.. we didn't have the $200 then so had to wait...we had to move to SC urgently because of a family member health...we been here little less than year now..I had to buy new car and it's a stick ..only thing could afford .which I not good at so he been teaching me..he been driving himself to work and back no where else except 2 days ago we decided to go out to store I drove a little but my own health issues I did not feel well I decided to let him drive home...we only 3 miles from home...well Gaston cop on Fish Hatchery decided bto follow us all the way into our neighborhood and pulls him over on our street 5 houses away from ours! He never asked for husband's ID...husband honest with him on inactive license..cop comes back saying DE says revoked said he could arrest him and impound car..car in my name and I right there! Says he not going to arrest him but tells him to handle license and go to court on 3rd and hands him $641 ticket!!!

That's more than our mortgage and according to DE cops and DMV license not revoked anymore it's inactive....
My question is in mean Time is there a permit he can get to drive to and from work and should I rush to get legal aid on this? Court is only little over a week away and we cannot afford $641 that's more than our mortgage! And he has to work and can't be locked up cause I on disability and won't be able to pay bills without his income...I cannot believe SC like this ..what your thoughts?
You both knew he did not have a license to drive and yet you let him drive anyway. What'd you think would happen? It's been a long time since he had his license revoked. You never said why it is was revoked. Sixteen years is way too long time to let something like this go, don't you agree? And why are you surprised that when he finally did get ticketed for his revoked license that the fine would be so high? You should be grateful that your vehicle didn't get impounded because it could have been.

Last edited:

xylene

I cannot believe SC like this ..what your thoughts?
You got an ENORMOUS break fro the cop who didn't impound your car and drag your husband to jail.

If you can't drive stick, it was 1000% stupid to buy a stick shift car.

Your spouse has been NEGLIGENT in not dealing with with. We are talking about an issue with his driving privilege going back 16 years.

That's insane.

Pay the fine and pay the fees.

It DOES not take 15 years to get 200 bucks together before you move to SC. Husband should have been begging for change or collecting cans or something to get that loot together. Or pawn something. It is absurd that you couldn't have 200 bucks in a few days let alone a month or so.

Weefee18

You got an ENORMOUS break fro the cop who didn't impound your car and drag your husband to jail.

If you can't drive stick, it was 1000% stupid to buy a stick shift car.

Your spouse has be NEGLIGENT in not dealing with with. We are talking about an issue with his driving privilege going back 16 years.

That's insane.

Pay the fine and pay the fees.
Thanks for awful post to my needing help. I couldn't afford any other vehicle..and you live on SSDI and see how you like it...you obviously read nothing I wrote and why it wasn't pressing issue and how we couldn't afford and what DE told us..get off my feed

xylene

. I couldn't afford any other vehicle
Baloney. You are the STRAW PURCHASER for the car your husband wanted.

No one at 'legal aid' is going to help your husband.

What you and hubby did was act ENTITLED to something with is actually a PRIVILEGE.

If you can't afford to maintain that, you should consider living in an area where there is PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION instead of a rural area. This a hard pill to swallow for many who can't drive legally, but it is the truth.

If you don't see how serious this is, and that not getting dragged to jail was a big break, I don't know what to tell you. This is not the police doing you dirty. You were followed because that's how it works. They know your car (it has tags) and they know your husband isn't the registrant and they probabbly even have him flagged as a habitual non-licensed operator (which he in fact is)

justalayman

Thanks for awful post to my needing help. I couldn't afford any other vehicle..and you live on SSDI and see how you like it...you obviously read nothing I wrote and why it wasn't pressing issue and how we couldn't afford and what DE told us..get off my feed
The problem is:

You deemed the Delaware license issue as not pressing. Fine but that does not explain why your husband has continued to drive without a license. If he needs to drive, that would refute your claim the Delaware issue wasn’t pressing since he isn’t going to be given a license until the Delaware issue is resolved.

Now that his poor actions have gotten the both of you into a bind, it appears the only issue you see as pressing is the immediate issue in South Carolina. You fail to understand all of your problems stem from the Delaware issue.

Your statement about living on ssdi is deceptive. While you may be limited to ssdi, obviously your husband isn’t. Since living without his income would be difficult, that makes the situation pressing.

Sorry but I think your husbands failures to deal with his issues have finally caught up to him. It’s time to start looking for,a way to settle the Delaware issues so he doesn’t have more problems like the current issue

I suspect there will be no temp driving permit since his Delaware license issue is outstanding

Weefee18

The SC law says "cancelled, suspended, or revoked." While your husband may be eligible to reinstate in Delaware, he's likely still revoked in the eyes of most states. The courts have pretty broad discretion in setting a lesser fine, but frankly, but it's strongly possible that the court isn't going to be persuaded by the story here. They might be able to put him on a payment plan. He should however avoid further breaking the law, the penalties steeply climb for subsequent offienses.
Can you just stop and get off my post .. I needed a freaking car to get to store and doctor etc just like u... obviously u not an attorney just somebody likes be in people's business and post crap...get off my feed damn it before I report you

Weefee18

The problem is:

You deemed the Delaware license issue as not pressing. Fine but that does not explain why your husband has continued to drive without a license. If he needs to drive, that would refute your claim the Delaware issue wasn’t pressing since he isn’t going to be given a license until the Delaware issue is resolved.

Now that his poor actions have gotten the both of you into a bind, it appears the only issue you see as pressing is the immediate issue in South Carolina. You fail to understand all of your problems stem from the Delaware issue.

Your statement about living on ssdi is deceptive. While you may be limited to ssdi, obviously your husband isn’t. Since living without his income would be difficult, that makes the situation pressing.

Sorry but I think your husbands failures to deal with his issues have finally caught up to him. It’s time to start looking for,a way to settle the Delaware issues so he doesn’t have more problems like the current issue

I suspect there will be no temp driving permit since his Delaware license issue is outstanding
I understand that..I just want to know how to handle DMV and court here... obviously we going pay attention to matter now and yes he was negligent but now how do we proceed that's all I asking

justalayman

I understand that..I just want to know how to handle DMV and court here... obviously we going pay attention to matter now and yes he was negligent but now how do we proceed that's all I asking
Since you are strapped for cash, you can seek assistance of legal aid. Most legal aid providers don’t deal with criminal issues. Depending on what your husband has been charged with, it could constitute a criminal matter. Even if it is not a,criminal matter, a traffic violation is a quasi-criminal issue as opposed to a civil matter so again, most legal aid providers won’t touch this.

All you can do is try.

I strongly suggest you do not insert yourself into the matter at court. This is between your husband and the state. Your input is likely to not be welcome unless it is for basic info your husband may not remember (such as dates and little more)

xylene

I needed a freaking car to get to store and doctor
I don't need a car. I arranged my life to live in a city, so I can get by with only the ocassional uber/taxi ride.

You husband goes to court and begs for mercy and should be prepared to pay the whole amount.

Please note - you live in a state with low taxation - they make up that money somewhere - IE high fines.

You husband will have to take care of whatever is blocking him in Delaware.

THEN - He will have to get a South Carolina driver's license (because that's where y'all live)

He'll have to pay the fees and very likely take a drivers license exam because of his EXTREME period of not being legally licensed. HE may have to go through a probabtional period like any newly licensed driver. Expect this to be costly. Expect there will be no shortcuts.

You and he should also be counting your lucky stars this doesn't trash your insurance.

Eekamouse

Then I guess I will delete this feed cause seems like only people that have nothing else better to do then make not advice but ignorant comments to get in others business
Go ahead and delete this thread but just know that you'll get no further help from anyone on the forum should you want it in the future and I suspect you will need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">