• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driver Responsibility Assessment Fee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elmeng

1. Well, whose fault is that? Shame on you for not scrutinizing that ticket prior to your plea.

2. What does it say on the ticket? I'm sure it doesn't say "BLACK". If it says "BL" that is blue. Black is abbreviated "BK". Something like that is irrelevant anyway.

3. This does not target out of state drivers. It targets ALL drivers. The Driver Responsibility Assessment applies to anyone with 6 or more points on their NY driving record.
In response

1. I had to blow up a photo of the ticket to find the reference for the Driver Responsibility Assessment. At 65, I need reading glass to read, but even small print is hard to discern.

2. Black was spelled out.

3. Out of state drivers are more likely unable to return to NY for a court appearance, especially if distance is a factor.

Maybe the intent of the Driver Responsibility Assessment is good, but the use of fine print on the ticket is intentional.

We are not all lawyers so I find this to be a willfully deceptively practice on NY's part.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
So now PA is a collection agency for NY, or at least their strong arm man.

Now I know the meaning the long arm of the law and blind justice.
You should stop taking this so personally. You violated the traffic laws, pled guilty as charged, then complain about the penalty. So if you knew the fine was higher you would have changed your mind about your guilt?

Most states do this for moving violations and unpaid judgments, by the way. It prevents scammers from driving out of state and racking up tickets which they then ignore.

HighwayMan

1. I had to blow up a photo of the ticket to find the reference for the Driver Responsibility Assessment. At 65, I need reading glass to read, but even small print is hard to discern.
The print on the Uniform Traffic Ticket is not THAT small.

3. Out of state drivers are more likely unable to return to NY for a court appearance, especially if distance is a factor.
Then that should apply to any traffic ticket and any fine. Your argument should be that out of state drivers should not get traffic tickets because they cannot come to court and fight them.

Maybe the intent of the Driver Responsibility Assessment is good, but the use of fine print on the ticket is intentional.
If you think someone in Albany deliberately made the print small so it couldn't be read (your opinion) then I don't think you're being too rational.

We are not all lawyers so I find this to be a willfully deceptively practice on NY's part.
What about 65 year old attorneys who need reading glasses? Surely they are discriminated against as well.

So if you were an attorney it would have been alright?

There is nothing deceptive about this. It seems to be hard feelings on your part. There is nothing you can do about it now - it's too late. You should stop wasting your time fuming about this and move on.

HighwayMan

Oh and by the way, traffic fines in New York State are pretty damn reasonable compared with neighboring New Jersey and Connecticut. The Driver Responsibility Assessment does not affect motorists who get an occasional traffic ticket for minor infractions - it goes after the heavy hitters. It takes some work to get 6 points on your license - which you managed to do with one speeding ticket.

You were traveling 21 to 30 miles per hour over the speed limit to get 6 points. Maybe you should pay more attention to the speed limit signs when you're out of state to avoid heavy fines and court appearances.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
To the spammer: Take it elsewhere - this is not the place to seek signatures to your petition.

Jvn45

Zigner and HighwayMan

How do you know what PA or MA will do if you don't pay the NY Driver Assessment Fee? The letter simply says you will lose the privilege to get a NYS drivers license?

racer72

How do you know what PA or MA will do if you don't pay the NY Driver Assessment Fee? The letter simply says you will lose the privilege to get a NYS drivers license?
Google States Driver's License Compact. Read and weep.

Jvn45

Yeah, I googled it. And nowhere does it say, you will be suspened in your state

or PA more specifically if you don't pay a NYS Driver Assessment. Basically, I think you guys are just making stuff up trying to scare people. Owing money to the DMV of NY doesn't equate to points in another state which is what triggers a suspension.

OHRoadwarrior

It appears you are only required to pay the Assessment for certain reasons and they will issue you a statement. Refer to this site to see if you qualify.

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/drp.htm

HighwayMan

If you fail to pay any traffic judgment against you in New York then New York DMV will suspend your driving privilege in New York and notify your DMV-type agency and then your actual license will be suspended as well.

In the future if you have a question start your own thread instead of re-opening one that's been dead two and a half years.

Jvn45

OHRoadwarrior - thanks for the link

Yes, this makes it very clear if I don't pay the $300 NY will suspend my driving privileges. I don't have a NYS license and never intend to get one. But, I will still have only 2 points in NJ. Nowhere does it say that other states will suspend your license for not paying this assessment.

warren404

The drivers assessment is a NYS extortion scam specifically enacted in 2005 because they foresaw a deficit and needed a way to cover it. They cant suspend your out of town license for failing to pay it.

I was driving on the NY Thruway and I had my Cruise control on 55 once we hit the 55 MPH work zone. A trooper was close to the end of the workzone and he had just finished pulling someone over as I saw him from at least 1/4 mile away and he started driving on the shoulder very slow once the car he pulled over pulled away. I was all the way in the left lane and there were even cars between us that passed me. He saw my out of state plate and pulled me over. This was a real ass kissing move on his part for the town he worked in because he knew I probably wouldnt return and its a mandatory $700 fine and 12 points on my license just because it was a work zone and going that fast as he lied and said I was. This is what garbage these guys are, they dont care about ruining someones driving record, they just want to make their town money.

Even on the ticket it says Direct Observation. Not even RADAR. I asked why was I being pulled over I wasn't doing any thing wrong. He tells me I was doing 79 in a 55 work zone. What a blatant lie. Then when I told him there was no way I was speeding 79 MPH he says "well even if you were doing 60MPH it was a 55 MPH work zone." What a piece of garbage. He then gave me a ticket, the fastest ticket I have ever received, Within 5 minutes, then he speeds off and pulls someone else over.

I have not paid the drivers assessment ticket or the speeding ticket I got and this was 1 and a half years ago. I got letters in the mail stating that my NYS driving privileges have been suspending for not paying their extortion fee or speeding ticket. And I really dont care because the last of my family has moved out of that hell hole of a state so I don't plan on returning anytime soon with my automobile.

These NYS cops are pure garbage. So I didn't pay the fine or the drivers assessment. NYS will never get that money from me. Florida wont suspend my license and from others I have talked to they confirmed, Florida doesn't enforce NYS suspensions. Maybe states in their tri state are do but Not my state.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

I have stopped people with Pennsylvania licenses suspended for failing to pay traffic fines in New York. FYI.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">