• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

drug addicted father wants visitation..PLEASE HELP ME!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kygirl722

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? KY
I should start off by telling you that I have sole custody of my 4 year old daughter. In my divorce papers it states that my daughters father gets her every other weekend as long as the visits are supervised by his father and he doesn't drive her. The problem is that he is a drug addict and has recently been diagnosed with Hepatitis B. This hasn't stopped him. I fear for my daughters safety. I have not let her visit with him for about a month and half for several reasons: His father does not supervise the visits. He does drive her, not only in a car but on a 4 wheeler on the hwy. His "drug buddies" are always there. Last but not least he has a 130 pound rottwieller running loose in his yard for protection. I am terrified for her! I do not want to be held in contempt for not allowing the visits but I have to protect her, that is my job as a mother. He has been in and out of rehabs, hospitals, and mental hospitals over the years, always admitting to drug abuse and multiple sex partners. My question is, is it possible for me to terminate his rights? I have no one to help me, the people who could assist me in court are terrified of him due to his reputation. Do judges usually request to see someones medical records in a case like this. If it isn't possible to terminate his rights how do I go about ammending the visitation agreement to a couple hrs. per week, supervised by someone outside his family? Someone please help me I don't know what to do.

snostar

First of all, by denying visitation you are just as guilty of contempt as he is. Now, do you have proof that his father is not supervising and driving her? Then you can file contempt. You can file a petition to modify the visitation requesting a different supervisor. The "drug buddies" and dog are irrelevant unless they are mentioned in the court order. Based on what you have posted there are not grounds for involuntary TPR (try getting that idea out of your head).

K

kygirl722

what do i need to do to get the visitation modification ball rolling

tcpmp

Most courts offer a low cost or free self help clinic to help you with the proper paperwork. Since there is already a case open you won't have to refile or pay for the whole cost of refiling.

K

kygirl722

I have a witness who saw him driving her and taking her into a local drug dealers home. As I said before though no one would go to court and testify for me because they are terrified of him.
I can't beleive that basically the only thing I can do is sit back and pray that nothing terrible happens to my daughter in his custody. The court systems sux.

tcpmp

Stop with the dispair. Most people think that it more complicated than it is, it not, just alot of paperwork. Take a little time and file some paperwork. In the long run you will be thankful.

N

nicolesmom

kygirl722 said:
I have a witness who saw him driving her and taking her into a local drug dealers home. As I said before though no one would go to court and testify for me because they are terrified of him.
I can't beleive that basically the only thing I can do is sit back and pray that nothing terrible happens to my daughter in his custody. The court systems sux.
The worst thing you could do is sit back and wait. Go file the papers. The court process takes time and at least you know that you did your best to protect your daughter. In NY there are people who helped me fill out the paperwork free of charge at the court. I just called the Family Court and asked. Maybe your state has something like that.

I have an alcoholic/drug addict for an ex (he has 2 felony DWI's on his record and after all his rehab's and punishment, is drinking etc. again). It is SO hard to see our daughter go off with him on weekend visits. Every time she comes home, there's another story about what her father did, who she saw and what happened. Long story short, he has a right to see his daughter, no matter what kind of man he is. All I can do is pray for her safety. I totally sympathize with you.

K

kygirl722

Fighting in his home!!!!!!!

My daughter went to his home Thursday, the very next day a drug dealer whom he owed money to comes to his house and they fight right there in his living room. The police were called and the drug dealer was taken to jail because of an outstanding warrant but of course my ex walks away scott free. What if my daughter had been there?? Thye were both bleeding heavely and he has hepatitis. Could this be grounds for some kind of action? Does this not prove that this environment is not safe? He has admitted to many, many doctors about his IV drug use, can those records be used in court? Please help me. I'm desperate!!!!!

snostar

One thing you can do is file a FOIA request with the police department involved. You can request criminal records associated with the known address. There are plenty of sample requests online, just search for them. It may turn up that no records are found, but it may also be worth the effort.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">