• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drug test at the hospital?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rscott0001

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I also posted this in the Civil Rights forum, I apologize, but I'm not sure which forum is more appropriate for the question.

I just went to the hospital's emergency room. I asked to be treated for my chronic back pain, and for help to stop smoking cigarettes. I was asked for a urine sample to check for a bladder infection. I suspect that because I am unemployed, indigent, and have sought treatment there three times previously within the past couple of months for chronic back pain, they were planning to use the urine sample to check for illegal drugs. I refused, stating that I would seek treatment elsewhere.

Could they have used that sample for a purpose other than that which they claimed? Could they have refused treatment based on the results of such a covert drug test? More importantly, do I have to worry about harrassment from law enforcement? I felt that they were attempting to invade my right to privacy, but now I wonder if my decision to refuse the test, and the treatment which was contingent upon that test, could cause problems for me, especially if I seek treatment there again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">