• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dry cleaner lost shirt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think he should demand the $12.50 in cash, not simply ask.
This my be in jest...

If it is - yep demand, along with stomping feet and holding the breath!

If it's NOT - asking in a letter *is* a demand

;)

justalayman

=quintcase;2391265]He could have written that he is entitled to take all my possessions and kill me if he loses any item on the back of the receipt!! Does that mean that he can legally do that if he loses my shirt?
No because you cannot legally engage in a contract for a persons death. You can enter into a contract to transfer property, limit liability, or limit claims against another party.

Also, he gave me the receipt AFTER I gave him the shirt, and did not tell me about his policy when I took the receipt. I didn't sing anywhere on the receipt, and there is also no sign in his store about this policy.
when you received the receipt, you were given notice. At THAT time, you had the opportunity to void the transaction at take your shirt. You did not do so so the contract stands.

and it is your due diligence to read what is given you.

and if you want to claim he never gave you a receipt, then good luck trying to claim he has your shirt.

kind of a catch 22, isn't it. Sneaky dry cleaners. It almost is like they have been through this before.

justalayman

My question is:
Will the defendant have to pay the court fees (and $30 sheriff fees) if the judge decides that he needs to compensate me for $12.5 (according to what is on the receipt)?
most likely not since he has offered you compensation already. In fact, you might have to pay HIS legal fees because you were offered compensation and refused it. Compensation greater than you are entitle to even.

K
eeping in mind that the dry cleaner did not even suggest to pay me cash for $12.5, and said at most he can give me $50 in store credit which I refused to accept since I would never go there for dry cleaning.
and did you ask?

apparently not.

Proserpina

There is a sense of melodrama and unparalleled irrationality in this poster's offerings that is painfully similar to TotalWreck's posts....

.....isn't it about that time of the month?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">