• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dui 11 yrs ago and never appeared

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

paul smith

In 1989 I was working in N.C. when i got a dui. The trooper arrested me and took me to jail, about an hour later i was in front of what I guess was a judge (he was in plain clothes) who released me with instructions to my girlfriend to make shure i didn t drink and a court date.
My job ended ran out of money went to another state, and started working, never went to court young and stupid i guess.
The problem now is that my drivers lic has expired, when they ran my name and ssi through the ncic it came back as a hold in NC, thats all the info thier was, and I have no warrants on my name.
I called NC DMV they told me that i was charged with dui and speeding in 1989 and that i would have to get that cleared up before they would take the flag off my name so i could get my drivers lic.
I now have a family a job that i have been at for about 4 yrs. The only thing I have on my record is a driving on expired licence charge from 2 yrs. ago.
Please tell me how i can get this cleared up with as little pain as possible.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

I think you need to consult with a DUI defense attorney in NC to see if a) statute of limitations is up on any type of action by the state b)see if you can get a sort of expungement of this without too much "pain".

Try http://www.attorneypages.com as your starting place. Also try the NC state bar. See the thing is: you DONT want to lose that job -- and something like this may pop up on background checks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">