• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dumb ass brother!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GElite

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC. OK, here is the situation; I got a frantic call from my brother a little earlier. Apparently last night his duplex apartment caught on fire and burned up a spare bedroom real bad and seriously smoked up the rest of the apartment. The fire by itself is bad but its how it caught on fire that is the real problem. As it turns out he had about 50 pot plants growing in the spare room and one of the lights apparently started the fire. He left before the fire trucks got there and has not been back. He had some friends go and get him some cloths and whatever else they could grab. The Police took all the plants, lights, and whatever other parafialia was there. I imagine that their is going to be a warrant for his arrest. He is planning on leaving the state and going to like Florida, Mississippi, or Alabama. My question is will the Greensboro, NC police extradite him and if not what is the statute of limitations? If they don't extradite how long will he need to lay low? Can they even do anything about it? Its not like they had a search warrant but I don't guess they need one when the place is burning down. Is it even worth there time to pursue it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

cyjeff

If they swear out a warrant for his arrest, it will NEVER go away.

If it is a felony charge, plan on him being extradited.

They didn't need a search warrant. The fire department reported it because it was in PLAIN sight as they were putting out the fire that his illegal pot farm created.

By the way, he should also plan on getting a very nice civil suit from the apartment complex and anyone whose property was damaged thanks to his fire.

Your brother needs to man up and turn himself in... this won't get better over time.

GElite

Oh I agree! If they charge him he will have to face it but if he can put it off long enough to get up enough money for bail and an attorney than I think he would be better off than turning himself in with no money and no layer. Hell, he just lost everything he has. He was able to go back and get some stuff. It looks like maby his lights did not cause the fire. Apparently the lights were off when the fire started and it started at an outlet that he was not using because it kept tripping the breaker and it was on the other side of the room. Looks like it might have just been a freak thing and if that is the case than he should not have to worry about a civil suite. He's my brother and I will help him anyway I can as long as I can legally. I’m not going to risk myself getting in trouble or my family. He has no place to stay and I won’t put him on the streets but if the police knock on the door he will have to go with them. So far there is no warrant, I imagine it would probably be a Grand Jury inditement. I am not sure how all that stuff works but I guess im gonna find out. North Carolina is weird though. A guy I grew up with got caught growing pot and they never charged him with anything. The Police came to serve a warrant for something else and found the pot growing in his bedroom. They took everything but never charged him and that was 5 years ago. That was in Burlington, NC and my brother lives in Greensboro which is one county over. I don't know why they never charged him but it would be nice if they did the same to my brother. It was less than 100 plants so its will be dealt with at the State level if they so choose to prosecute.

Apparently the lights were off when the fire started and it started at an outlet that he was not using because it kept tripping the breaker and it was on the other side of the room. Looks like it might have just been a freak thing and if that is the case than he should not have to worry about a civil suite.
Don't bet on that.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Oh I agree! If they charge him he will have to face it but if he can put it off long enough to get up enough money for bail and an attorney than I think he would be better off than turning himself in with no money and no layer. Hell, he just lost everything he has. He was able to go back and get some stuff. It looks like maby his lights did not cause the fire. Apparently the lights were off when the fire started and it started at an outlet that he was not using because it kept tripping the breaker and it was on the other side of the room. Looks like it might have just been a freak thing and if that is the case than he should not have to worry about a civil suite.
Wrong. He can be sued and lose due to the fact that his illegal behavior contributed to the fire and hence he is responsible and liable.

He's my brother and I will help him anyway I can as long as I can legally. I’m not going to risk myself getting in trouble or my family. He has no place to stay and I won’t put him on the streets but if the police knock on the door he will have to go with them.
If the police are looking for him and you know where he is then you are breaking the law by not turning him in. And hence you could be joining him in the neighboring cell.

So far there is no warrant, I imagine it would probably be a Grand Jury inditement. I am not sure how all that stuff works but I guess im gonna find out. North Carolina is weird though. A guy I grew up with got caught growing pot and they never charged him with anything. The Police came to serve a warrant for something else and found the pot growing in his bedroom. They took everything but never charged him and that was 5 years ago. That was in Burlington, NC and my brother lives in Greensboro which is one county over. I don't know why they never charged him but it would be nice if they did the same to my brother. It was less than 100 plants so its will be dealt with at the State level if they so choose to prosecute.

Less than 100 plants and yet still several plants? He will be charged. Bet on it. And if you know where he is -- even if he is not with you -- you can be charged. And convicted.

snowshuze

I'm not an attorney, but......

He's planning on running to another state with intentions of "saving up" for bail?
Ummmmmmmm**************
When they catch him and extradite, would he would be eligible for bail, as he would most likely have "flight risk" status?
Seniors?

No warrant??? Well, you can bet he is at the very least 'a person of interest.'

The best advice you can give him; If he gets picked up, to not give them any more then his name... If they take him, he should ask if he is under arrest.
If they question him, he should state that he needs to hire a lawyer first...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">