• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Duped Dad's Right To Sue Is Upheld

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?

Duped dad's right to sue is upheld
He can seek $110,000 from biological father
Thursday, September 01, 2005
BY MARGARET McHUGH
Star-Ledger Staff
A man who found out 30 years after his youngest child's birth that he was not the father had the right to sue the biological father for nearly $110,000, the cost of raising the child, an appeals court ruled yesterday.

In the first ruling to extend a statutory deadline in a paternity case, the appellate panel said the man could collect the money even though he missed the deadline under New Jersey's Parentage Act by eight years. The court said it made sense because the biological father, along with the duped man's wife, never told him he was not the boy's father.

The attorney for the biological father said his client had not decided whether to appeal to the state Supreme Court.

Advertisement

"The court has finally shed light on the parameters of the Parentage Act and what it covers and how far it can go," said the attorney, Scott Bocker. "Unfortunately, I don't necessarily agree with everything they said, but ... they have the say in how the statute is interpreted."

Family court expert John Paone Jr. called it "a groundbreaking case."

"There is no precedent in New Jersey where a parent has been compelled to pay child support more than 15 years after the emancipation of a child," said Paone, who has been practicing family law for more than 20 years.

Paone said he does not expect the ruling to be applied widely.

"I still think it's going to be the rare case that the biological father knows he's the father and participates in the fraud," Paone said. "The facts of this case call out for a remedy you don't normally see in the court."

In a 30-page opinion that does not reveal the identities of either man, the mother or the son, the appeals court upheld a nearly $110,000 award granted by a Morris County judge in 2003.

Under the state's Parentage Act, an action to determine paternity could be filed up until the child in question turns 23. But the man who raised the boy did not find out until 1999 -- when the child was 30 -- that his ex-wife had had an affair with his friend in the late 1960s and had gotten pregnant. She gave birth to a son in 1969, and as a friend of the family, the biological father, identified in the ruling as P.J.S. Jr., agreed to be the boy's godfather, the decision said.

Ten years after the child was born, the couple divorced, but the plaintiff, R.A.C., paid child support and kept a relationship with all three of his children.

The families had originally lived in Morris County, Bocker said. The biological father now lives out of state, he said.

In 1996, just before the son was to be wed, his mother, identified in the decision as B.E.C, told him who his real father was because she wanted him to know his biological father had two children with muscular dystrophy.

Advertisement

Three years later, she told her ex-husband, who has said he was dumfounded and shocked.

"He had difficulty coping with the news and was angry that B.E.C. and the defendant had deceived him," the decision said.

R.A.C., who says he maintains a good relationship with the boy he raised, sued P.J.S. Jr. in September 2000 for reimbursement of child support, fraudulent concealment and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

A DNA test in April 2002 confirmed P.J.S. Jr. was the father.

In February 2003, a Morris County judge awarded R.A.C. $109,697 for child support reimbursement up until the boy turned 22.

The judge dismissed the claims of fraudulent concealment and intentional infliction of emotional distress, and said R.A.C. was not entitled to money he spent on the boy's education between the ages of 22 and 25.

The biological father, however, appealed on the grounds the Paternity Act does not allow lawsuits to be filed after the child turns 23.

But the appeals court said just as murderers who avoid detection for years before they are caught can be sued for wrongful death long after the statute of limitation, so too can a duped man sue for child support from a biological father.

The doctrine of equitable tolling, as it is called, "applies to prevent a statute of limitations from being used as a sword by a defendant whose conduct contributed to the expiration of the statutory period," the decision said.

"Here, not only defendant but also B.E.C., the mother of the child, concealed the true facts of D.C.'s parentage from plaintiff. The duplicity was enhanced by defendant's agreement to serve as godfather for the child," the judges said.

The panel ruled R.A.C. was not entitled to interest on the child support, but they sent the case back to a trial judge to consider awarding him legal fees.

The court also determined R.A.C could not sue for emotional distress because his relationship with D.C. "had not been destroyed or negatively affected in any way. He continues to have a loving and trusting father-son relationship with him."

Anthony Marchetta, the attorney for R.A.C., did not return calls for comment.

Staff writer Kristen Alloway contributed to this report.

VeronicaGia

So what happens to the mother who helped in this fraud? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

She should be made to repay 1/2 of this as a warning to others who would do this type of harm.

Crazed98

VeronicaGia said:
So what happens to the mother who helped in this fraud? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

She should be made to repay 1/2 of this as a warning to others who would do this type of harm.

No she shouldn't even though it was her fault the money had nothing to do with her it was about the fathers.

NotSoNew

WHAT? the mom should have to repay the dad ALL THAT MONEY (the not real dad) SHE KNEW!!!!!!!! then SHE should have to sue the other dad for child support!

Crazed98

dynomight77 said:
WHAT? the mom should have to repay the dad ALL THAT MONEY (the not real dad) SHE KNEW!!!!!!!! then SHE should have to sue the other dad for child support!

The child support was for the child it was not for the mother it basically had nothing to do with her.

The real father knew he was the real father and did nothing.

Your idea is a waste of time and leads to the same result as above.

Crazed98

kat1963 said:
Mom should be held on criminal charges.

KAT
I disagree.

GothicAngel said:
The court also determined R.A.C could not sue for emotional distress because his relationship with D.C. "had not been destroyed or negatively affected in any way. He continues to have a loving and trusting father-son relationship with him."

tigger22472

First I also agree if they are going to make the bio dad pay back.. then the mom should too, she's just as, if not more responsible for 'duping' this guy.

However, I must say I'm not sure I agree with this situation. Do I feel bad for this guy? Sure. But, many of us here know that parenting isn't always about biology. It's about emotion. And for at least 27 years neither of them knew any difference. I wonder if after raising the boy for 10 years before the divorce he would have found it fair to not be able to see the child because biologically he wasn't his. I also disagree on the judge dismissing the other charges besides the child support. THOSE were the charges I think should have stuck, not the CS.

Crazed98

The real father and the mother both committed fraud.

The real father had sex with his friend's wife and became the child's godfather even though he knew he was the real father. By him doing that he got out of having to pay child support.

The cheating mother gave her husband a child who he has and continues to have a positive relationship with.

This case was all about child support. Emotional distress was not an issue because the husband continues his role as a father and it is a healthy relationship.

eyemback

Crazed98 said:
The real father and the mother both committed fraud.
That's all you needed to say. Commiting fraud is a crime. You do know that, don't ya?

So, please try to explain to us, in a way that we won't be laughing in hysterics, why the mother shouldn't be equally responsible for COMMITING A CRIME??

I've got my popcorn and I'm ready to hear this!

nextwife

You know, if a parent commits fraud against a business, and used the ill-gotten gains to support their child, they get charged with a crime, maybe sent to jail and ordered to make restitution.

However, if a parent commits fraud through the family law system and uses CSE to obtain their ill-gotten gains from some poor, lied-to schnook, they usually get off scott free because "it's for the kids". Fraud is fraud, whether in the guise of child support or not. If a person STEALS, or embezels to "support their kids, it's NOT ok, why should it be ok "because it's for the kids" when the money is extorted by the CS system from the VICTIM of fraud? Paternity fraud should be seriously punishable. It is a grievious injustice to do otherwise.

brownie

Sounds like a new can of worms will be opened soon...

MAYBE hospitals should start doing paternity test on all (born from married couples and those born out of wedlock) babies that are born; doing so, would definitely eliminate any future problems of this nature!

Doing this would solve 2 problems at the same time; this one AND one in which the CP (usually the mom) denies knowing who the father is and therefore lives on State Aid when they could actually be collecting Child Support $$$ from the NCP. There are way too many NCP's that get away with not helping providing financial support for their child(ren).

Last edited:

eyemback

brownie said:
MAYBE hospitals should start doing paternity test on all (born from married couples and those born out of wedlock) babies that are born; doing so, would definitely eliminate any future problems of this nature!
First: there is no reason to do DNA testing on babies from married couples. I would be highly offended if they needed to do DNA testing on my child with my wife "just because they need to make sure." Plus, it's already law that a child born within a marriage is presumed the father's child. If you take a look at the stats of children born within the marriage, I wouldn't be surprised if the percentage of those born from an affair are less than 1%.

Secondly: you'll also offend many single women who want to raise a child on their own, without the guy.

Doing this would solve 2 problems at the same time; this one AND one in which the CP (usually the mom) denies knowing who the father is and therefore lives on State Aid when they could actually be collecting Child Support $$$ from the NCP.
I don't know the criteria for getting on state aid, but there needs to be more accountability on the parent who goes on State Aid. If they're lying or dishonest, then they should be held accountable. It's not fair that the NCP get socked all of a sudden with a bill from the state for reimbursement. Especially if the NCP didn't realize they were a parent to begin with. There are plenty of people out there who do know how to work (abuse) the system knowing they won't be held responsible for it. Just another example of the Government (whether it's state or federal) wasting YOUR tax dollars.

There are way too many NCP's that get away with not helping providing financial support for their child(ren).
It's very much a two-way street. There are plenty of CP's who aren't holding the NCP's financially accountable. And there are plenty of CP's not pulling their share as well (like with those orders where the NCP is responsible for 75%/80%/90%-plus financial responsibility).

brownie said:

Doing this would solve 2 problems at the same time; this one AND one in which the CP (usually the mom) denies knowing who the father is and therefore lives on State Aid when they could actually be collecting Child Support $$$ from the NCP. There are way too many NCP's that get away with not helping providing financial support for their child(ren).
And who, dear, do you propose PAY for this testing???????

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">