• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DV/Criminal Mischief

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

writhe

What is the name of your state? Florida

Early Feb. 3:00am: My sister & I got into an argument which lasted about 45 minutes. She got me very upset & I ended up punching a hole in the wall. Obviously, we are not very close at all.

Fast forward 12 hours, my sister is gone & no one can find her. I get a knock on the door, I go downstairs to answer it. I get halfway down the stairs and the police officer opens the door and proceeds to make his way in. He and I are both lucky our german shephard just died, she did not like intruders. Anyways, they take me outside and question me. They asked me what happened, I explained to them that we got into a heated argument. I did not mention the hole I punched (plenty of holes in our house to do construction). The cop asked me if I had made a death threat to her. Obviously, I said no. They ask me about her car. Apparently she accused me of keying her car(which is in my dads name, so it is not legally hers). I tell them that her car was keyed a week earlier (by someone else, which it was). They called my dad and he confirmed that the car had been keyed a week earlier, but he had only seen a big "x" on the hood. There is more than just a big "x". They take me to jail on chargest of domestic violence/criminal mischief. 24 hours later I get my paperwork. To my amazement, most of her police report is FALSE. She put on the report something along the lines of "He pushed me into the wall & told me he was going to kill me" & "he's not afraid to do it, hes done it before". This made me very upset. The judge ordered me not to go home. This was about 30 days ago. We all just want this to end. My arrainment is on Tuesday the 6'th. My sister is going downtown to tell them she does not want to press charges, and that she wants me to come home. How will this effect my arrainment? I HAVE to go home. To make things 10x worse, the night I got out, my father got arrested with DUI charges. He lost his license and can only drive for business purposes. Chances are he will lose it completely within the next few weeks. If this happens, my brother and sister are screwed, unless I can go home to take care of groceries & get them to school etc.

In jail, I asked for a public attorney but was never assigned one. I cannot afford a lawyer at this time (school/work full time). How do I go about asking for one, again?

Also, in mid december I was arrested and charged with DV. My brother and I got into a fight. I hit him, charges were dropped. Can this effect what happens to me? I've read they are not supposed to bring up dropped charges, but since this has happened twice within 60 days, it makes me wonder.

ceruleanblue

wish I could help more

Just my sympathy....
I also live in Florida, had a "heated" argument..... my dad was actually visiting and sleeping on the other side of our bedroom wall, and came to court stating that he never heard anything louder than raised voices, and it only went on for 4-5 minutes.
This was at 2am.
I asked my husband to leave the house... I found all this stuff, he was cheating.
He was to embarrassed to leave.... he lied about the stuff I found and it did get physical. BOTH ways.

Fast forward to 7 am...... Just like you, cops at the door, pretty much pushed in asked a few questions... asked me to step outside to answer some questions************** wouldn't even let me change from pj's.

next thing I know I'm in handcuffs and in the car being haulled off to jail.

I was never read my rights or anything ... it was just Surreal.

Also like you when I got the paperwork most of it was FALSE.

Got Bullied, and now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

(luckily, my dad testifying @ 24 hr court they lifted the restraining order so I can be @ my house and with my kids.)

I just have to suffer being in the house w/ the (insert explitive) who had me arrested.

best wishes

from a fellow prisoner of the state of florida

fairisfair

Just my sympathy....
I also live in Florida, had a "heated" argument..... my dad was actually visiting and sleeping on the other side of our bedroom wall, and came to court stating that he never heard anything louder than raised voices, and it only went on for 4-5 minutes.
This was at 2am.
I asked my husband to leave the house... I found all this stuff, he was cheating.
He was to embarrassed to leave.... he lied about the stuff I found and it did get physical. BOTH ways.

Fast forward to 7 am...... Just like you, cops at the door, pretty much pushed in asked a few questions... asked me to step outside to answer some questions************** wouldn't even let me change from pj's.

next thing I know I'm in handcuffs and in the car being haulled off to jail.

I was never read my rights or anything ... it was just Surreal.

Also like you when I got the paperwork most of it was FALSE.

Got Bullied, and now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

(luckily, my dad testifying @ 24 hr court they lifted the restraining order so I can be @ my house and with my kids.)

I just have to suffer being in the house w/ the (insert explitive) who had me arrested.

best wishes

from a fellow prisoner of the state of florida

this crap is supposed to help the poster, how?

fairisfair

poster you don't get a public defender in jail, when you go to court, and if you decide to plead not guilty, and you are eligible, then the court will assign you a public defender.

Sounds to me like your entire family could use some counseling, and hopefully the court will see that and act accordingly.

Your history of domestic violence may well affect the outcome, what the heck, has your family every considered speaking to each other, instead of beating the he11 out of one another?? why were the charges dropped? and how were they dropped?

ceara19

poster you don't get a public defender in jail, when you go to court, and if you decide to plead not guilty, and you are eligible, then the court will assign you a public defender.

Sounds to me like your entire family could use some counseling, and hopefully the court will see that and act accordingly.

Your history of domestic violence may well affect the outcome, what the heck, has your family every considered speaking to each other, instead of beating the he11 out of one another?? why were the charges dropped? and how were they dropped?
Check out the little punk's OTHER thread.:rolleyes:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=356905

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">