• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Earrings, Ear Piercing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

IMO, honestly, this isn't a hill to die on. Simply put, you need to IN YOUR SUPERVISION, remove the ridiculously expensive earrings upon the child's arrival. Put in something YOU wouldn't mind replacing if lost, and put those 'fashion statement' earrings someplace that can't be misplaced.

Dad can pound sand on your time. Fashion isn't MAJOR anything, unless you were dealing with rags, which really isn't major still. LEGALLY speaking, legal custody (major decision making) amounts to where she goes to school, medical issues and also religious upbrining... that's about it. Fashion doesn't fall into ANY of the above. Its not even part of the "protected" class (age, creed, religion, handicap, race, etc)... IMO, Creed, even though by definition means strong belief system, doesn't cover fashion statements and pocketbook size.

Even though I understand where Mom is coming from wondering whether this falls into Dad's area of legal custody, its a ridiculous argument to have. Sounds to me like he's got some serious control issues.

rbw5147

Is it possible that Mom might be afraid that Dad may yank back some of her parenting time if she doesn't do as he says, since he has sole legal custody at this time?

CourtClerk

Is it possible that Mom might be afraid that Dad may yank back some of her parenting time if she doesn't do as he says, since he has sole legal custody at this time?
Having sole custody, even sole legal custody doesn't mean you get to determine visitation if there is a court ordered visitation schedule that spells it out.

mistoffolees

Who's to say that she's being raised to think it's the cost of the clothes she wears that indicates her worth as a person. Maybe it's about the quality and the style. I'm not saying dad's right here, but that's where it is with me. I'd rather have my child wear good quality, stylish clothing and I have yet to find an outfit at Target I'd send him to school in or let him come to my job in. Play and get sweaty at the park in? Maybe. At the point where I can find Macy's quality clothing at Target, I'll revisit my viewpoint.
I agree, but I don't think $1500 platinum earrings for a 10 year old are a quality issue.

mistoffolees

Tiffanys to the jewelry counter in Target....

worlds apart.
No doubt. But the point is that one doesn't need to spend $1500 to get good quality earrings. When you get into that price range, it's about style and name, more than about quality.

Not to mention that my daughter would rather wear $20 earrings that she likes than $1000 earrings that I picked out for her. She'd do it, but it wouldn't be her preference. OP's daughter apparently thinks the same way.

sometwo

I just wanted to comment on the name brand "expensive" versus other brands issue.

My daughter , who most times isn't that big on clothes has a friend that is. The thing at school right now seems to be all about clothes from Justice . I refuse to pay the prices for clothes in there. Even with 40 percent off. I refuse. My daughter most certainly understands after looking at the prices herself and me asking if she wanted to spend HER money on it.

My daughter did get a shirt from there this Christmas, or so you would think. See I found it at Ross for less than 5 bucks. One of her friend's thought she was shopping there and had told her mom her friend's get stuff from Justice. I am also friend's with the mom (both of her friend's mom). She asked me and I said no way. I went to Ross you can find all kinds of stuff there.

The other day we went and found cute shirts, skirts and shorts for all three girls and none were over 5 bucks! It was really cute Justice stuff , not just stuff people wouldn't want.

My point is you don't always have to spend a fortune for those clothes. If you really want those type of clothes there's lots of other ways to get it. I'm sure the same for jewelry too.

Also ebay is a good place to look!

haiku

she is 6 1/2, of course she wants to wear cheap flashy earrings over classic hoops and studs :D

And diamonds are expensive, no matter were you buy them, though I imagine a tiffany diamond will be higher priced than the walmart diamond, and they sell 1,000.00 studs too...

haiku

I just wanted to comment on the name brand "expensive" versus other brands issue.

My daughter , who most times isn't that big on clothes has a friend that is. The thing at school right now seems to be all about clothes from Justice . I refuse to pay the prices for clothes in there. Even with 40 percent off. I refuse. My daughter most certainly understands after looking at the prices herself and me asking if she wanted to spend HER money on it.

My daughter did get a shirt from there this Christmas, or so you would think. See I found it at Ross for less than 5 bucks. One of her friend's thought she was shopping there and had told her mom her friend's get stuff from Justice. I am also friend's with the mom (both of her friend's mom). She asked me and I said no way. I went to Ross you can find all kinds of stuff there.

The other day we went and found cute shirts, skirts and shorts for all three girls and none were over 5 bucks! It was really cute Justice stuff , not just stuff people wouldn't want.

My point is you don't always have to spend a fortune for those clothes. If you really want those type of clothes there's lots of other ways to get it. I'm sure the same for jewelry too.

People who buy 1500 dollar earings for thier kids probably conider Justice, on par with Target as far as quality goes. It still doesn't compare.

sometwo

People who buy 1500 dollar earings for thier kids probably conider Justice, on par with Target as far as quality goes. It still doesn't compare.
That was just one example though. You can go to other outlet stores and find the more higher end items. Plus there's ebay and stuff like there. My point is just because you think it cost a lot doesn't always mean it does and you don't always have to pay a lot to look like you did.

LdiJ

For the last six or seven years I have purchased ALL of my clothes, with the exception of under ware and socks at....Drum roll please....GOODWILL. Why? Because I get high quality, designer clothes for pennies on the dollar, AND its supporting a very good cause.

On top of that, I am a bit hard to fit, so I love the fact that there are hundreds of pairs of say, black slacks, in my size range, to choose from.

frylover

Last year a friend was in the Goodwill store and happened upon an article of clothing required by my daughter's private school as part of her dress uniform in my daughter's size. Cost from the uniform store.....$25. She snagged it for a couple of bucks. Looked like it had never been worn.

I don't want my kids to grow up thinking they are somehow less worthy than their friends who have more expensive things, or more worthy than their friends who have less expensive things.

Last edited:

txmom512

I paid about $4 for a brand new pair of pants last year w/ the tag on them at Salvation Army. They started to get older so I decided I'd look up the brand to get another pair because I love them so much. Yeah - they cost $78... Guess I'm not getting a new pair.

I have to be honest. Honestly, there is no way in Heck I'd want to be responsible for $1500 Anything, much less something as small as earrings. I like the idea someone had about giving them to dad. There's just no way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">