• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

eBay misclassifying clothing brand's market segment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmoothPinkJazz

I just really don't think it is very fair to group IZOD under the same tier as generic private labels or as basic economy brands such as Hanes or Fruit of the Loom (an IZOD polo costs significantly more than a Hanes polo). It sounds snobby and defamatory.

Also, the IZOD products at Sam's Club as well as many other name brand clothes sold there might not actually be the real thing. Many fashion companies produce products made to a lower standard specifically for warehouse clubs, off-price retailers, and their factory outlets.

Just Blue

I just really don't think it is very fair to group IZOD under the same tier as generic private labels or as basic economy brands such as Hanes or Fruit of the Loom (an IZOD polo costs significantly more than a Hanes polo). It sounds snobby and defamatory.

Also, the IZOD products at Sam's Club as well as many other name brand clothes sold there might not actually be the real thing. Many fashion companies produce products made to a lower standard specifically for warehouse clubs, off-price retailers, and their factory outlets.
Why do you care? Do you have a financial stake in the Izod brand?

quincy

If you believe IZOD should be concerned, contact the trademark holder.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That doesn't make them not "the real thing". If IZOD makes a product for Sam's Club, it's still IZOD. In fact, if you are saying that IZOD is selling at Sam's Club, that lessens your argument against them being a "value" (as you define it) brand.

Last edited:

quincy

That doesn't make them not "the real thing". If IZOD makes a product for Sam's Club, it's still IZOD. In fact, if you are saying that IZOD is selling at Sam's Club, that lessens your argument against them being a "value" (as you define it) brand.
Do you think you could fix your quote, Zigner? I did not say what you quoted. SmoothPinkJazz did.

Thanks.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Considering the changes in Izod over the last decade are so they are, I'm sure, happy anyone is buying them at all. They don't even have the Alligator anymore.
Technically they never did have the alligator. The alligator symbol is a mark of Lacoste, a company that originated in France and their polos with the alligator pre-dated their association with Izod. Izod was granted a license to use the Lacoste name and alligator and market the Lacoste polo shirts in 1953, a year after Lacoste had introduced them in Europe. Thus was born the Izod Lacoste marketing marriage that lasted until the 1990s, when the preppy fad of the late 70s and early 80s had long since faded and the two companies went their separate ways, with Lacoste pursuing a more high end image and, relevant to this thread, Izod pursuing a more mid market niche. Izod is now owned by PVH, as this thread has indicated, which makes and markets a variety of clothes under brands that are pretty well known. The polo shirts by both Lacoste and Izod trace back to the Izod Lacoste days, but it is Lacoste that still markets the shirt with the alligator that I was familiar with (and wore :LOL:) over three decades ago, not Izod. Though some may confuse the two and may still think they are the same company, they are in fact completely separate today.

quincy

Put up a pic on the SMF.
Oh. I don't have it.

The alligator is in one of the many many many labeled boxes of stuff from my siblings and my childhood that is stored in my parents' basement (stored with my mom's continued hope that we will eventually appreciate her saving all of it). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">