• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Education and modification of custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tuffbrk

CAlimom -

when you say that you are seeking additional time - is that during the week? In Summer? What is your objective related to time.

Can you be more specific about SM "passing herself off" as Mom. For example, is she putting her name as Mother on school forms?

Has Hubby authorized SM to act on his behalf as it relates to school matters?

Have you met with the children's teachers this year yet? Have you established a method of communication? Check out [http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/articles.php] for some suggestions in that regard.

Children are 10 and 8...Is that 3rd and 5th grade? If so, the extracurricular activities are not school sports, but township type activities? "Lessons" can be scheduled only on Dad's time. The sports are harder as they are scheduled by the township and/or coach.

I'd request a modification - if Dad signs the children up for X and the practice/game for X is on Wednesday that you receive a day during the week in which there is NOT a practice/game. This day may change with the season depending upon the sport and the coach. If there is not such a day, Dad can work with the coaching staff to see if the children can be moved to a team that has practice on a different day or the children need to select one activity in which they will not participate.

Just my 2cents

Calimom3

You can certainly bring that up. However, with the distance between you, is that even feasible anymore? Any chance that you could move closer, to make more time, more feasible?
The good thing about that is that the midweek time is and would continue to be my Mom's house, so yes, it's feasible and also helps to continue the relationship with my side of the family.

Calimom3

CAlimom -

when you say that you are seeking additional time - is that during the week? In Summer? What is your objective related to time.

Can you be more specific about SM "passing herself off" as Mom. For example, is she putting her name as Mother on school forms?

Has Hubby authorized SM to act on his behalf as it relates to school matters?

Have you met with the children's teachers this year yet? Have you established a method of communication? Check out [http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/articles.php] for some suggestions in that regard.

Children are 10 and 8...Is that 3rd and 5th grade? If so, the extracurricular activities are not school sports, but township type activities? "Lessons" can be scheduled only on Dad's time. The sports are harder as they are scheduled by the township and/or coach.

I'd request a modification - if Dad signs the children up for X and the practice/game for X is on Wednesday that you receive a day during the week in which there is NOT a practice/game. This day may change with the season depending upon the sport and the coach. If there is not such a day, Dad can work with the coaching staff to see if the children can be moved to a team that has practice on a different day or the children need to select one activity in which they will not participate.

Just my 2cents
Tuffbrk, here is a thread I had regarding the SM and some of the things that are going:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/child-custody-visitation-37/proof-over-stepping-step-court-395842.html

The time I am looking at is to add 1 additional day during the week, and to add the Monday holidays that correspond with my parenting weekends, I am also need to clarify the extra curriculars, among other things. I like the modification wording you suggested, I would like to also limit how many activities they are in because of the school issue. EH has them signed up for 4 different team sports per school year, plus other things like ice skating or girl scouts or what have you.

While I cant specifically point to the extra curriculars being a factor in the decline in school work, maybe if I can increase the time with them during the week to assist getting the school work done and limit the amount of extra curriculars will be a start to get them back on track.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">