• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Elder Abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Plackers

What is the name of your state? New York - I have Power of Attorney over my ailing sister. She had bad debt due to a leaching nephew. Someone has now sent him a court notice to pay up or go to jail and his mother is blaming me. Can someone explain how POA notifies debtors? And am I responsible for her debts?

New York

quincy

What is the name of your state? New York - I have Power of Attorney over my ailing sister. She had bad debt due to a leaching nephew. Someone has now sent him a court notice to pay up or go to jail and his mother is blaming me. Can someone explain how POA notifies debtors? And am I responsible for her debts?

New York
I don’t understand your post. You say your sister has debts but it is her son who apparently is being sued. Your nephew is responsible for paying his own debts.

commentator

As you are involved in this, be prepared to hear from the victim that you are a bad person, that you are responsible, and that you no longer are allowed to do things that might get the actual abuser in trouble. My experience was that it works (elder abuse) because the person is often still cognizant enough to be played, but not really making good decisions. Oh mom, they're going to put ME in jail and it's all cousin ______ s fault! It's hurtful, but do not follow their instructions, stay involved, even if you have to involve other parties, like the law.

Yes, we do need more information. Did your aunt incur this bad debt in her name or did she just give this person money and now he has bad debt in his own name?

LdiJ

New York
As the others have already indicated you really haven't given enough info to give you very much advice. However, in general a POA is not personally responsible/liable for the debts of the party they represent. However, they are generally responsible for making sure that the debts of the person they represent are paid, to the extent that the person is able to pay.

adjusterjack

Someone has now sent him a court notice to pay up or go to jail
Better get a look at that notice and don't rely on what you are "told."

Debtor's Prison was abolished a long time ago.

And the notice might be phonied up by an unscrupulous collection agency to look like a court notice.

zddoodah

I have Power of Attorney over my ailing sister.
You don't have power of attorney over someone. A power of attorney ("POA") gives you the legal authority to act on behalf of another (the "principal") in transactions with third persons. It may also give you the authority to make certain medical decisions on behalf of the principal. What authority does your POA give you?

She had bad debt due to a leaching nephew. Someone has now sent him a court notice to pay up or go to jail
Go to jail? Over a debt? Or is there more to this story?

In any event, how did this "leaching nephew" cause your sister to become in debt?

Can someone explain how POA notifies debtors?
I don't understand the question.

am I responsible for her debts?
No.

I'll reserve further comment until you explain the facts in a bit more detail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">