• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

emancipation of a severely and permanently disabled child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

StampGirl

You cannot go back when your child is 31 and try to get child support out of the other parent. It doesn't work that way.
I "think" the OP is asking what can she do to ensure that the military benefits that the ex (who is military) is collecting for their son is passed on to the son.

Sounds like to me, the dad is keeping all the financial benefits from the son being disabled etc.

Can she investigate with the military to see if Dad has misrepresented himself in saying the disabled adult (child) lives with him instead of mom so that he gets the benefits? That would be wrong.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I "think" the OP is asking what can she do to ensure that the military benefits that the ex (who is military) is collecting for their son is passed on to the son.

Sounds like to me, the dad is keeping all the financial benefits from the son being disabled etc.

Can she investigate with the military to see if Dad has misrepresented himself in saying the disabled adult (child) lives with him instead of mom so that he gets the benefits? That would be wrong.
THAT she can do. She can send a nice little letter to the military regarding the dependent benefits that may be due the disabled adult.

gitana1

Thank you ladies, this is what I was mainly inquiring about. I am certain that my son's dad did not inform the courts that my son was disabled when my son turned 18; and he stopped paying child support. My son has become so neurotic about getting a job that he walks until his feet are cut and swollen.
It is also extremely painful to keep Baker Acting him because his anxiety level is so high, he's up at 5:00 am every morning, and he has to leave the house because he becomes severely claustrophobic. I'm trying to pay for someone to always be with him because he looks like a typical person; and we live in such a backwards place, South Tampa, that if he tries to introduce himself or hold a conversation with anyone new, he is reported to Tampa PD; and he's approached by Tampa PD for "bothering people". We still have not been able to find the right combination of medication because he's become chronically OCD and depressed. He was also diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder and he's also become chronically neurotic. I'm trying to keep him with me because He's never lived with anyone else and I know he'll suffer because ignorance in his community insists that he function like a typical person, because he looks like a typical person. Besides all the mental disorders he has developed when he lost his livelyhood (more than one jobs); he has cerebral palsy and he is mentally retarded. It hurts deeply to hear my son say he's concerned for his life and he's afraid, because he's petrified of Tampa PD. It also makes me angry because his dad can assist him through the VA and his retirement benefits and he's even refusing to sign to get his ID card renewed when he needs it, yet he still gets benefits for him as a disabled depenedent. I have been getting his ID card renewed through a civil servant at Headquarters Marine Corps. Someone mentioned a Quad Review. Any idea what this is and how it works? Thanks for your input. I really need some help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">